Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody have a closeup pic of what the linkage on the outside of the VN750 is suppose to correctly look like?
I bought a bike that the previous owner had welded a tab onto the shift pedal and then has the linkage connect to the shaft. I have cut and removed it, and want to get it back to stock.
And why are there 2 shafts?
The shaft toward the front has the in and out play that I have read about, and I was going to do the rubber hose spacer, but when I pull out the shaft it seems to catch and does not spin free like when it is pushed in a little.

So now I know why nobody has answered my question about 2 shafts, you might think I'm crazy.

So here are the pics....

What do I do?

Attachments

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
Shifter should just slide on shaft coming out of motor.sounds like someone had forward controls on it.have any pics?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
I have my shifter off.will look at it when I get home.I haven't played with the Vulcan in a while so don't remember the setup.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
I will also look at my two parts motors

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Shifter goes right on the shaft. That linkage was probably for fwds or comfort.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Nice clean oil btw!

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Holy hell! Somebody modded that case. Two shifter shafts?!!

They also sawed the frame off, probably to do this mod, then welded it all back.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
here's a pic of one of my motors.the side cover is off,but as you can see,one shaft

·
Super Moderator
2,570 Posts
way out on a limb here, but if the internal linkage was busted, could you mod the case like that and use a more rearward shift shaft??
you know, have the shift lever on the front shaft (but its there only for pivot) with a linkage going to the rear?

hell, that would be more work than splitting the cases to change the internal linkage!

but as said before, either forward controls of some sort, or possibly they moved the foot peg more rearward at one time and moved the shifter back to accommodate?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
way out on a limb here, but if the internal linkage was busted, could you mod the case like that and use a more rearward shift shaft??
you know, have the shift lever on the front shaft (but its there only for pivot) with a linkage going to the rear?

hell, that would be more work than splitting the cases to change the internal linkage!

but as said before, either forward controls of some sort, or possibly they moved the foot peg more rearward at one time and moved the shifter back to accommodate?
You were right the first time, they modded the case, added a shaft, and put the heim joint linkage on the second shaft and up to the stock shifter pedal. The stock shifter shaft is now just a pivot for the pedal.

:surprise:

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
Very weird.

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Weird, but ... now Doc knows how to put forward controls on his CB. But yeah, pretty wild ginsu work there.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
Weird, but ... now Doc knows how to put forward controls on his CB. But yeah, pretty wild ginsu work there.
Hell I'll just call Wolfie if I need them.;)

·
mayor of Narnia
248 Posts
mabe its the 6th gear mod we all want?

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
Wow the more I look at that, is the second shaft all external?

Weird spray work on the frame.. JB Weld + Spraypaint?

·
Registered
8,253 Posts
Stealth warpdrive gear.

That ranks close to the external alternator for Most Gutsy Engine Mod Award.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok so here is an update on my "dual shaft VN750"
Bought the bike on Craigslist, seller said he could not start it anymore, it was so cheap I bought it and took it home where I could figure out what's up.
Petcock was leaking, vacuum hose to carb was full of fuel, front cylinder full of fuel also.
Looks like the shifter shaft had some internal failure, so he cut the frame in order to get the side cover off and add his second shifter shaft.
The external linkage was bad I so fixed it and a little chrome paint and it works like normal. (see pics)
Yes it looks strange, and I am sure it's the only one on the road, but it now starts, stops, shifts, ride nice, and is lot's of fun.
Since I bought it for $425, I can stare at that weird shifter with no problem.

Attachments

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,223 Posts
Just hope he is a good welder ;)

·
Premium Member
3,027 Posts
Looking at one of Roach's videos, I can see how he did it. It would eliminate the breakage prone internal shift rod. The external linkage came off another bike. First time I've ever seen anything like that.

As for that external alternator, that is a very common modification on 1200 Goldwings. It's called a "poorboy kit", and uses a Geo Metro alternator. Strangely enough, Honda actually put a "real" alternator on the '88 6 cylinder Goldwing, and as far as I know, the Goldwing is still the only production motorcycle with a real alternator.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts