Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Instead of throwin shivs at one another..."answer the fookin question" (that was from Braveheart, btw, by the crazy Irishman.... http://sipseystreetirregulars.blogspot.com/2008/11/to-paul-helmke-answer-fookin-question.html) ....once its answered go as OT as ya want....if its a stupid question to begin with, attempt to ridicule the poster, and go OT immediately. Thats how we did it back when, and until somebody else says other, that how we do it. It WORKS ! And no...this is not a rule or doctrine...just a suggestion to prevent bullsh!t.... ;)

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
.....air cooled aircraft engines use a veritherm on the oil cooler line to stop the flow when its cold. You don't want the oil to cool too much.

-Robert
Can't do that here. The oil comes from the pump, in to the adapter, through the cooler, on through the filter, then in the engine to lube her up.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Overly thinned oil is almost useless, may as well add gas.....overthinning/breakdown occurs from overheating....
Oil coolers have been used in industrial applications since the 50s....railroad diesel engines are both fluid cooled and their oil is cooled as well.

All I know, is when the filler cap on my K model Sporty started burning thru my jeans, it was time to stop at the next neon sign for a bit....
And yeah, I actually owned a K Model Sportster for a short time before I went to a 74 cu in. Im thankful for having that short stint with a legend.
Had that K had an oil cooler, I might have kept it....

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
no, I would still ahve my doubts even if one of the "Boys" posted it...

Denny, Real quic question on your TrailBlazer... what year and body package.. we have an '04 LS and it doesn't have an engine oil cooler... I know for sure it doesn't cause I have replaced the radiator in it due to salt corrosion... it does have a Power Steering cooler, and Tranny cooler built into it... We don't have a warranty contract with Ford yet (I am working on them) so I haven't seen 2013 Fords in the shop yet... and it will probably be a while before I see a 2009 or newer Ford Truck in our shop, because Ford here can't sell a truck to save their life... every one is caught up on the new Chevy's and Dodge is offering ridiculously low prices...

I Don't doubt that lowering the oil temp would be good, if it was lowered to around 200 degrees, but like KM and I have been saying... every time a failure due to heat on a normally running bike has been in slow moving traffic or stopped extended periods of idel... so this oil cooler set up wouldn't work in those situations, because no air is moving a crossed to fins to cool them. Any lower than 200 degrees, and the oil viscosity is in the middle of its two points and doesn't lubricate worth a damn.

I also agree with Darcel's theory on the Stator not getting enough oil, and in the other thread made mention to tap into our oil lines that are already present for this purpose.. to inject the cooled oil directly onto the stator, thus warming the oil back up to normal operating temps before it gets pushed back up to the rod and main bearing journals.
05 LTZ w towing package as for the work van I am guessing on the year on it because it was while backbut I am thing a 01ish 3500 6.2 . The reason I replaced the radiator in the Trail blazer,nephew slid into a bridge abutment on some ice like we are expecting here tonight. The reason I remember the van so well is almost got fired because it ran dry of oil about three miles from my house after I had put a couple of quarts in it that morning before I pulled out.Had a new engine put in at a GM dealer and when they fire it up and checked it for leaks it had an aluminum oil line that had split and was spewing oil every where. The tech at the dealer said he wondered why there was a puddle of oil under a locked up engine when they towed it in and unloaded it an parked it in his bay.

Addressing the question of what difference would it make on a hot day in traffic ,probably none to little. The advantages I see is A.it will increase oil capacity a bit. B. It will cool the engine oil(albeit little) as it runs down the highway especially at the rpms these bikes run on the highway. If it does nothing in traffic I ask what is it hurting?

Someone asked which one made more heat ,Combustion or friction? The cylinder heads are more than likely the hottest place in the engine. On these engines the heads are water cooled and the bottom end is oil cooled.

I have a question for you all which one would you rather start your engine engine without(unaware I am assuming) and expect the least amount of damage before you discovered it?

I have seen engines survive being run very low of both but to me, the oil is the most important to check. I would almost guarantee, barring no visible leaks, the majority of people on here check the oil level in their engine a lot more frequently than coolant level.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
the majority of people on here check the oil level in their engine a lot more frequently than coolant level.
Im like a yuppie there....I only check when I hear funny noises...but thats why I wear a halfshell....I can hear stuff before it does damage....lol....

Reminds me....I need a new O ring on my front cyl where that chromey coolant pipe enters....leaking just a tad....I smelt it....then looked....

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I suspect that a bit of research will show that most newer vehicles with oil coolers as standard equipment require 5W-20 or 30 oil. The 5 viscosity helps improve mileage a tiny bit since less engine power is needed to pump the thinner oil which also helps it flow through today's tighter tolerance engines. But with this thinner oil there is less margin of safety when the oil thins when it gets really hot in today's modern hotter running engines (hotter combustion for fewer pollutants and more power per ci.)

This reduced safety margin in the oil viscosity would make new vehicles using the thinner oil more likely to require oil coolers. This would be especially important in an engine with a turbo to minimize the oil coking (building sludge when overheating) in the turbo bearings.

This is just a supposition without further research but fits the facts.

So,,, oil coolers aren't a bad thing on our bikes but not really needed in my opinion. The cooler oil will have less thermal breakdown thus last longer in an engine with minimal blow-by soot in the oil (soot in the oil from worn rings allowing excessive blow-by) but I suspect that regular oil changes are sufficient for these engines.

Still, the cooler can't hurt and looks cool to boot!

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
Still, the cooler can't hurt and looks cool to boot!
Exactly,here is a man that gets it,Thank you !!

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
Hay man.....am I not the gray haired bearded sultan of "cool" ?....lolol !!!!

I should get the Dire Straits to rewrite....

Reminds me....Springsteen is on a comeback....I met him once since I knew his brother Jay, who raced XR750s flattrack....I need Bruce to rewrite "Racing in the Streets" since that was about us, on the Garden State connection road to the NY Thruway....he dint get it quite right....artistic freedom, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecunQO_uoIg

Was a 350 cu in....and he never "built" it...classic song though...IMO Emmylou Harris did it best.....wasnt the 7-11 either....was Master's parking lot, and there was a Jack in the Box we all got tacos from....Spring Valley, NY, btw....god....I miss them days.........Jay was cool....Bruce was a lil aloof....I wont mention the last name of the family I met em thru, but started with "De"....that proves I aint lieing....Bruce DID come and watch the races one night....I was more impressed by Jay....lol

Go ahead...google em....and if "Racing in the Streets" aint what I say on some site, well then, its all a farce....because thats what it was...us youngins racin in the streets....high school and just outta....60s/70's hot rods....

Im really ramblin, aint I ???....I'll go to bed now....sorry....

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
05 LTZ w towing package as for the work van I am guessing on the year on it because it was while backbut I am thing a 01ish 3500 6.2 . The reason I replaced the radiator in the Trail blazer,nephew slid into a bridge abutment on some ice like we are expecting here tonight. The reason I remember the van so well is almost got fired because it ran dry of oil about three miles from my house after I had put a couple of quarts in it that morning before I pulled out.Had a new engine put in at a GM dealer and when they fire it up and checked it for leaks it had an aluminum oil line that had split and was spewing oil every where. The tech at the dealer said he wondered why there was a puddle of oil under a locked up engine when they towed it in and unloaded it an parked it in his bay.
OK LTZ with tow package would make sence, as mine is base line with out tow, so Chevy was expecting the consumer to be putting the Blazer trough harsher conditions than normal

6.1L Ford is a diesel engine, and need an oil cooler to keep the turbo working correctly the first year of the 6.1 did not have an oil cooler, and the turbos were prone to fail with less than 25,000 miles on the clock, Ford fixed the premature turbo failure by adding the oil cooler, and making a TSB for dealers and shops to install them on the 99-2000 model years.

Now back on topic,

Someone asked which one made more heat ,Combustion or friction? The cylinder heads are more than likely the hottest place in the engine. On these engines the heads are water cooled and the bottom end is oil cooled.
not 100% true... the water jackets flow from the Water pump impeller (Lower most portion of the crank case) through the crank case exiting out of the clutch cover, then back into the cylinder head as shown in the diagram found in the FSM on page 3-3 Cooling System

I have a question for you all which one would you rather start your engine engine without(unaware I am assuming) and expect the least amount of damage before you discovered it?
when in the desert I had to run an engine for a week with out coolant once... I am talking over 168 hours strait with out shutting it down. The radiator had a hole the size of California in the bottom of it, so as fast as a guy could pour water into the radiator it was spilling back onto the ground. I am also talking middle of August in 130 degree heat, and who knows how hot the inside of the generator housing was if the engine wasn't running...
I have seen engines go as long as 24 to 36 hours with out a load before they spun a rod or worse with out oil. So yes Denny I get your point... personally I won't run an engine with out either coolant or oil if I had to.

Addressing the question of what difference would it make on a hot day in traffic ,probably none to little. The advantages I see is A.it will increase oil capacity a bit. B. It will cool the engine oil(albeit little) as it runs down the highway especially at the rpms these bikes run on the highway. If it does nothing in traffic I ask what is it hurting?
In traffic nothing... but then again its not helping anything either... going down the road at highway speeds the cooling system is more than adequate to handle the cooling needs of the bike. Its the stop and go traffic where we need better cooling.

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
when in the desert I had to run an engine for a week with out coolant once...
The Lizzard King told you that....right....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ceAK3-7DEM

I had a book of Jim Morrisons poetry....I think I gave it to some blonde slut I was fooking at the time, so, its gone....

...."C'mon baybeeeee.....".....

Geez....them days were weird....I was doin pills and booze....sometimes acid....day into night, night into day....didnt matter....awake 4 days straight....fooked up....

Sh!t...Im really opening up to you guys lately, aint I ?....all my private crap....I guess its because there aint too much that matters anymore....

All there is, is you guys, and right now....no yesterday, no tomorrow....just NOW....love you guys though...ya know that right ?....

"C'mon baybe take a chance with me...."

The bus...the fookin bus....lol.....Big Sur....I wish I was back in Big Sur...with Annie and her goats....damn, I fooked up yrs ago.... I shouldda stayed....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9IIn3R6_50

Robbie Krieger on the Gibson SG....one of Jerry Garcia's favs....

...and now....."the music's over"......turn out the lights....

·
Super Moderator
11,820 Posts
(What produces more heat, friction or combustion)
Lubricated parts in the case hold more heat due to friction and the lack of fresh air flow to (vent out the heat) with added cylinder compression bypass. The cylinder gets a fresh shot of air on intake stroke along with a mixture of cool fuel to help cool the piston top and valves. Head cooling is aided by coolant.

What thermostat does the bike have for preferred engine operationally temps? 172 degree? And didn't I read in previous post that oil needs 212 degree minimum to preform correctly. In the lower case is hotter I'd say.
Your 100% wrong here. Friction of parts in your engine don't even come close to the amount of heat caused by the burning of fuel.
Don't believe me? Start a cold bike and let it sit for just 4 minutes running. Put your hand on the bottom of the crankcase then grab a header...

Again not saying an oil cooler is bad, but don't rationalize your work with bad science.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
6.1L Ford is a diesel engine, and need an oil cooler to keep the turbo working correctly the first year of the 6.1 did not have an oil cooler, and the turbos were prone to fail with less than 25,000 miles on the clock,
I didn't mention a Ford . I said a 3500 6.2 that would have indicated a one ton diesel to me. The 6.2 GM came in turbo and naturally aspirated versions,I also said van which would have indicated to me an NA diesel. Had I been talking Fords it would have been E350 and we had some of those in the fleet which were 6.9 NA diesels. which Ford bumped up to 7.3( I think) added a turbo and the Powerstroke was born. I could be wrong( a statement a few others need to learn around here) about the displacement on the first Powerstroke. But I Know I am correct about the GM 6.2 and I a later 6.5 turbodiesel,same basic engine as well as the first ford diesels being NA motors that ran forever. The newer power strokes are smaller displacement, direct injected, and intercooled turbo diesels.I don't know a lot about them since I ain't got nor am I gonna spend 50 K on a pickup truck.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I can still see a way for my interests. In a previous post, Chuck nailed it. He will easily be able to stop/start auxiliary oil cooling. A simple ball valve or whatever.

Much of this thread would be moot if the oil temperature were known. Perhaps this will be accomplished.

I know exactly the oil temperature I desire, I do not know what oil temperature my bike runs.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Wasn't going to post, but....

The oil cooler will work in traffic because the oil temp will have been reduced before you rolled into the stop. I would also expect the fan to run less.

From about 1988 to as late as 2000, Chevy S10 4x4 Blazer and pickups were equipped with an oil cooler and remote filter, standard equipment.

I know for a fact that a standalone trans cooler can be good for a 20° reduction in engine coolant temp.

I doubt the oil in this bike will ever come close to being too cold, unless you ride in sub-freezing weather. Most of the cold oil temp concerns come from kids putting 150° thermostats in the ricer machines to make them run cold.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wasn't going to post, but....

The oil cooler will work in traffic because the oil temp will have been reduced before you rolled into the stop. I would also expect the fan to run less.
Its certain that the oil cooler will reduce the oil temperatures. But I'm still confused as to the actual problem being solved here. Is this in reaction to some premature engine failures?

-Robert

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
From about 1988 to as late as 2000, Chevy S10 4x4 Blazer and pickups were equipped with an oil cooler and remote filter, standard equipment.
Although true, there is an easy answer. This equipment was added because the skidplate would not allow a normal means of oil cooling and filter R&R.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
As Chuck has stated, he rides in the deep south and in hilly terrain, and since he's not exactly a little guy, his bike works a bit harder.

The balance dampers and timing chain guides may also last longer with cooler oil.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
Although true, there is an easy answer. This equipment was added because the skidplate would not allow a normal means of oil cooling and filter R&R.

What skid plate? Never saw one on an S truck.

What other normal means of oil cooling?

41 - 60 of 103 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.