Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
i love the idea man but i think when i get around to doing this i want to do it a little different something wolfie turned me on to so forward controls will still be an option
I'm totally interested in seeing other people's versions.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
I'm totally interested in seeing other people's versions.
you said the alternator needs to run counter clockwise for the alt. fan to cool the alt. right

cause i might be wrong but isnt yours running clockwise if so the idea i was going to run with will have the alt. turned 180 degrees but still running off of the flywheel so that should reverse rotation if im correct

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #24 (Edited)
Yes, your correct. I mentioned above I wasn't worried about it as its in the wind.
As for things lining up, I thought about the 180 flip too. But the way I was mounting it, it
Would have been out to far for my liking. The best option would be to locate one that was
Proper rotation. If its a concern. ;)

Honestly, by the time I reized that I had already purchased my alternator.
If I was to do it again, I would research it better & get a proper rotation.
Now I'm curious. I'm going to look into that.

The alternator I bought had a clockwise orientation & the engines rotation
Is counter clockwise.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
when me and wolfie were talking the other day he told me about putting the alt where the goat used to be now if you run the same style drive unit that you did off of the flywheel but ran the belt twards the rear to a shaft bolted to the frame with carrier bearings and a pulley on each end you could have the alt that you are using bracketed onto the rear of the motor or on the frame just behind the motor and have it facing the right side of the bike thus hiding the alt from view and from some dust and dirt and turning it counter clockwise and still be able to have forward controls or a crash guard or if i ever get the design right you can have one of my highway bars and use wolfies forwards

if i get my highway bars designed right they will be to where you would have your feet sticking thru the bars to use the forwards so your legs will be protected from collision well some what protected anyways

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Kanuck, did you leave the rotor in place or take it out? Curious if the rotor has anything to do with balancing.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Kanuck, did you leave the rotor in place or take it out? Curious if the rotor has anything to do with balancing.
the rotor would have to stay in place for two reasons

1. you are correct :smiley_th it is what balances the motor and is key in the starting of the engine since the starter actually spins the balance shaft and the balance shaft turns the rotor

2. the pickup coils read off of the contact plate on the outside of the rotor

you can however toss the stator out and also the r/r

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
Hell, forgot about driving the balancer.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
Hell, forgot about driving the balancer.
actually its kinda odd the balancer drives the engine until it starts then the engine drives the balancer

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I think all you have to do is change the fan.
I thought about that. I need to look at it closer to determine if the blades are straight (uni-directional) or angled, directional.
If they're uni, I don't need to worry about it.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
when me and wolfie were talking the other day he told me about putting the alt where the goat used to be now if you run the same style drive unit that you did off of the flywheel but ran the belt twards the rear to a shaft bolted to the frame with carrier bearings and a pulley on each end you could have the alt that you are using bracketed onto the rear of the motor or on the frame just behind the motor and have it facing the right side of the bike thus hiding the alt from view and from some dust and dirt and turning it counter clockwise and still be able to have forward controls or a crash guard or if i ever get the design right you can have one of my highway bars and use wolfies forwards

if i get my highway bars designed right they will be to where you would have your feet sticking thru the bars to use the forwards so your legs will be protected from collision well some what protected anyways

I thought about that location. But you might be under estimating the amount of grime that builds up under there. That & the engineering to do it seems challenging.
The swing arm will have to clear everything. Besides, if you have a stock exhaust, this is not an option.
But, if you do it, I'd LOVE to see it. I totally agree it would be nice for the alternator to be hidden. But, it's also a great conversation piece.

·
Registered
7,664 Posts
I'ma put a rubber wheel on an alt and drive it off the tire! :q

Could put one of those Suzi alts through the side case, but then you probably have to use it for a footpeg.

·
Banned
2,190 Posts
I thought about that. I need to look at it closer to determine if the blades are straight (uni-directional) or angled, directional.
If they're uni, I don't need to worry about it.
I do not think you can turn the fan over. You will need a different fan. There is only a couple of different size shafts. I am pretty sure an alt will charge turning either way. Junk yard one that the fins go the other direction.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Lots of Honda engines used to spin "backwards." Pretty sure their alternators did too, so if you want a fan that works CCW, you could try looking at them.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
21 - 40 of 67 Posts