Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, let me think how to put this. Essentially I am wondering if anyone has ever had a reason to play with or modify the license plate light housing. I am wanting to put about a 1" "spacer" between the chrome-ish part and the black plastic part. The effect would be to move the light bulb rearward about an inch. Reason: My light bulb/housing functions quite fine but since I have an LED license plate holder the light from the clear bulb that is supposed to light the plate at night, actually gets blocked by the top row of LED/brake lights. So while the housing and bulb function as designed, the light doesn't reach the plate. Solution: Move the bulb 1" rearward. So my question, before I actually sit down and remove things, is if anyone has done this sort of modification in the past and if so, how did it work out for you?

·
Registered
570 Posts
Ok, let me think how to put this. Essentially I am wondering if anyone has ever had a reason to play with or modify the license plate light housing. I am wanting to put about a 1" "spacer" between the chrome-ish part and the black plastic part. The effect would be to move the light bulb rearward about an inch. Reason: My light bulb/housing functions quite fine but since I have an LED license plate holder the light from the clear bulb that is supposed to light the plate at night, actually gets blocked by the top row of LED/brake lights. So while the housing and bulb function as designed, the light doesn't reach the plate. Solution: Move the bulb 1" rearward. So my question, before I actually sit down and remove things, is if anyone has done this sort of modification in the past and if so, how did it work out for you?
Just a voice from outside-the-box while you are still in the design process:

If the LED's are lighting up the plate is it even necessary to have the top light for the plate? Maybe a better question would be: are the LED's lighting up the plate?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I'm not used to voices outside the box.they don't echo like the ones in my head

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, the LEDs are not lighting up the plate.

·
Registered
570 Posts
I'm not used to voices outside the box.they don't echo like the ones in my head
I I I s-s-said "thinking" king" king" king" king"

Ask-k-k your fellow worker-er-er to replace-ce-ce the bott-tle tle tle tle. The glass-ss-ss is-s-s too old and it's messing up your focus cuss cuss cuss.

>:)

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
Registered
570 Posts
No, the LEDs are not lighting up the plate.
On the 1987 model, there are three pieces. The fender mount, a rubber spacer, and the lamp assembly ( in that order ). Without taking mine apart, there are two small screws on the lamp assembly holding it onto the rest. My first approach would be to get another rubber spacer the same as the original, mount them nose-to-nose ( since they taper a little ), and get longer mounting screws which would be ( IMHO ) the most important part since riding backwards to pick up the lamp after if falls off might be more difficult than what one might at first imagine, depending on where they decided that would be and in accordance with Murphy's Highway Laws ( when a license plate falls off it will always mean a speed-trap is coming up and will only happen right after passing a truck with sufficient weight to imprint it on its tire. After being ticketed the license can be found then, only at the next truck stop in the least reachable part between the truck's double axle tires and only after the trucker has passed out for at least half an hour. On a good day, Murphy's Weapons Laws for Truckers will be in effect and his gun will jam about one half second after you utter Saint Murphy's Prayer ( found in your Owner's Hymnal on page "iii" ) "Oh, Sheet!". Obviously this is the most important reason to make sure your starting/ignition system is in its best shape at all times ).

If the newer models are different, then you could probably get that same rubber spacer since it *should* be a perfect fit.

:grin2:

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,222 Posts
I I I s-s-said "thinking" king" king" king" king"

Ask-k-k your fellow worker-er-er to replace-ce-ce the bott-tle tle tle tle. The glass-ss-ss is-s-s too old and it's messing up your focus cuss cuss cuss.

>:)
It really sucks when they whisper.

·
Registered
570 Posts
It really sucks when they whisper.
Take your helmet off before going inside and the whispering will stop, or do what i do and simply stay out of your mind.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts