Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All. New to the forum and new to the 2000 Vulcan 750 bike. Interested in upgrading the stock exhaust to something more”throaty” sounding. What are some of the pipes/kits you guys are using that won’t break the bank but will give the bike a more meaner sound?

Looking forward to learning more about these bikes!

·
Registered
790 Posts
One user has done the cheapest thing possible: just remove the mufflers. Other than that you can probably search eBay since you'll be hard up to find a new exhaust for these bikes these days. Maybe somebody here can recommend some good ones, there are definitely a lot of cheap options out there.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Degoated with screaming eagle slip ons. Sounds mean. How about an introduction post in the newbie thread?

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've took a cutting disc to my pipes to make them straight through. No end cans. I found them too loud for my liking, i thought they sounded terrible. I bought some universal internal baffles made of steel from ebay that bolt in. They are still a little loud, but much better for it. Measure the inside diameter to make sure you have the correct size

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,242 Posts
Bought mine at a yard sale

Sent from my Z899VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
90 Posts
Hope this works. Took a couple video clips recently as I did the drilling of the muffler. Here is what mine sounds stock in the garage.
No holes drilled in muffler:
https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=V1vKEzaMfqU&u=/watch?v=bc7GxEZZlBk&feature=share

With 4 holes in each muffler:
https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=eSKra-5sdrY&u=/watch?v=tjAnqQXBqiQ&feature=share

With 8 holes in each muffler:
https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=y5Ex4tYoVIw&u=/watch?v=oVvBFZ5RR8U&feature=share

With 8 holes in each muffler and out on the streets:
https://www.youtube.com/attribution_link?a=yEIBySZvYYE&u=/watch?v=aEHQoC44bsE&feature=share

·
Registered
552 Posts
I just pulled the mufflers off, running straight out of the goat. Love the sound! Cheap, and easy to reverse.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I just pulled the mufflers off, running straight out of the goat. Love the sound! Cheap, and easy to reverse.
I did this last night and drive it today. Sound is good, drones going down the road, need some extensions to carry the sound out the back. Actually feels like it has more power on the top end, doesn’t feel like I lost anything on the bottom end either.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Some people drill out the baffles and keep the stock mufflers on. I haven't tried this as its not reversible. I get enough wind noise that I need ear plugs anyways, so the droning doesn't bother me.

I want to put in short (few inches) of straight pipe after the goats belly, just to regain the rear clamp on the heat shield. The left side rattles with the missing clamp.

As far as more power, the bike feels faster when I ride without earplugs. Clearly my perception is not reliable 😄.

I am doing an ear shave and rejet over the winter. Also going to adjust ignition timing a bit. Stock without mufflers, I run equal to a Harley V-Rod all through 1st gear. He loses me in 2nd, as he doesn't hit 2nd until 60 mph. If I can pull ahead after the changes, I'll let you know.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Drilling is totally reversible! Ever Heard of bolts or a welder? Lol

And the dude on the V-rod is going easy on you... Just saying

Even with "just" drilling I would consider adjusting the carbs. At least the air/fuel mix if not shimming the needle(s). Probably won't need a rejet if you keep the stock airbox and filter(s).
Easy enough to pull a spark plug after a few miles to see if it's running too lean.

Straight pipes are definitely too loud for most!

Don't just ditch the mufflers. Short pipes raise the power band so you have to almost redline it just to get out of your own way. Or worse, you end up lugging the motor and beating up the rotating assembly and trans gears... And shaft splines!

Do ditch the crossover and get slip-on, free flow mufflers. "Screeching beagle" is Harley's "stage-one" label. And yes they flow well yet are not obnoxious.

I think Cobra makes full pipe setups for the VN and many Jap makes/models.

·
Registered
552 Posts
I ran the numbers from a dyno chart of both bikes (in stock form), and the VN750 (red graph) pulls just under the V-Rod (green graph) from 0-40. The graph is adjusted for bike weight, gearing, tire size etc. He is running an oversized front sprocket (30 vs 28) for lower highway RPMs, which is also in the graph. It basically shows how hard you will be pushed forward at a given speed. He hits his torque peak in 1st just as I'm hitting 2nd gear. I also show a Buell (yellow) and a Suzuki V-Strom (black) in that graph.

If the open pipes after the goats belly help the top end, that would keep me even just a bit longer. I don't have access to a dyno to measure changes, so that VRod will be my gage. I'll post my holeshot results this spring, after an earshave and rejet.

Open pipes after goats belly isn't too terribly loud. I do make an effort to be light on the throttle during morning or evening hours in town. Sundays, when riding to church, I push my bike to the street before starting, as a courtesy to my neighbors.

The straight pipes I was referencing was going to be after the goats belly, simply to give the heat shields something to clamp onto. I wasn't considering full straight pipes! YIKES! Others will tell you that full straight pipes without some sort of crossover causes you to lose low end torque. And that it's stupid loud. I don't need it THAT loud.

Attachments

·
Registered
33 Posts
Neat!
Got a link to that calculator? Or is it a program?

Straight open pipes usually have reversion problems and can only be tuned for a very narrow RPM band.
Bends, baffles, "lollipops" and the like are great for fighting that reverse shockwave. As long as they don't impeed flow...
Of course there's always a compromise.

·
Registered
552 Posts
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/940m9ihpv2q9ukp/AADgouJRdoffxC7goz67zxuHa?dl=0

That will get you to the folder with all the Excel documents. The posted graph is in the Vulcan Excel file. It pulls the data from the other files.

The graph was also useful for gaging optimal shifting RPM. 8500 from these graphs. Notice how the 1st gear line basically touches the 2nd gear line? I've heard some say to run to 9000-9500 for best acceleration, but the power falls off quickly after 8000. Maybe with intake/exhaust mods it retains power above 8000? I'm not sure I want to push a vtwin past red line.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts