Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this page on wrapping pipes, really awsome, planning my ear shave, coastering, rejetting, degoating, pipe wrapping, carburator cleaning, I figured I'd do the pipes as well I just need the correct slips. What I really need is more reading, conversation and information- y'all can spread will make this process easier and more fun.

1. Which mufflers will fit on the degoatted bike, I assume its just comes down to knowing the diameter of the stock pipe, and choosing sometthing great looking, unless (which I doubt) I'm gravely mistaken.

http://www.vabiker.net/2008/05/wrapping-your-motorcycle-pipes-with-exhaust-insulating-wrap/

·
Premium Member
301 Posts
I think it depends on how you de-goat. You will need some type of connecting pipe to reach from the end of the headers to the start of the mufflers. Some here have used flexible exhaust tubing, which will give you a pretty big variety of mufflers to choose from.

Others have used the Scootworks bypass kit which is just two pipes, and a couple of U-bolts and is designed to hook up to stock mufflers. I think many Harley stock mufflers will fit with little modification (mod necessary I think mostly for mounting purposes)

I have seen it recommended to just head on down to the local HD dealership and see what they might have laying around, as many people want the mufflers replaced with straight pipes before they take delivery of there HDs.

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
There's so many cheep mufflers on ebay that's why I made this post! kind of excited, I just hope I can get it all done soon, I'm flipping through the Manual right now looking for the diameter of the header pipe.

She's my only ride for the time being, so shipping is my only option unless I want to start training for a half marathon. Thanks yeah 1 3/4

·
Registered
120 Posts
there's so many cheep mufflers on ebay that's why i made this post! Kind of excited, i just hope i can get it all done soon, i'm flipping through the manual right now looking for the diameter of the header pipe.
1 3/4" id

·
Registered
49 Posts

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
thats the guide i used, it was missing the k and n air filters on the parts list when i did mine (fixed now) but other than that it was awesome and it went like a charm
Yeah lol I guess 'Cindy' found out first hand I'm lucky to benefit from the time Phill spent on it and everyones helpful suggestions.

Anyone with more questions can read the thread about the blog, here;
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18397

I'm anxious to get the procedure, the write up makes performing the operation easy I just want the skill and knowledge to back it up, so that I know how to tune this carburator under any circumstances

I found a great read burried in the forums, 40/140 seems to be the old recommendation 42/142 depending on the altitude. Jeffs guide also juggests numbers which I assume are closer to the mark.

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14556

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ordered my Jets, coasters & filters, been looking at dyna oem 1.75" baffle 24.25" long, 3.25 wide (ideally something thinner would be nice) might have to fabricate a mount to the passenger bracket. Got my wrap in cart. Notes mostly to my self feel free to comment still need, evaporust, por-15 chassis paint nailpolish . As well as a handlebar, and a new head pipe screw, and primer for the fenders. Might be able to get to autozone today or tomorrow. Still waiting on my seat, foot break. test on the 21st.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
when u do the de-goat, which way do u want the exhaust, both on the right side or one on each side? alot of slipon mufflers come with all u need, mine came with the left header pipe and all the rest went together like a charm .

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
when u do the de-goat, which way do u want the exhaust, both on the right side or one on each side? alot of slipon mufflers come with all u need, mine came with the left header pipe and all the rest went together like a charm .

I think ill just use the bypass kit, and? or head to the HD dealer, Eitherway I really want to try this stinky exhaust wrap. NEXT Month.

$60
http://www.hellrisercustoms.com/bik...t/subcat/Exhaust/maker/SCOO/item/SWV750PREMUF

There's some rusty old HD mufflers on Ebay for $5&12p/h 3 days left.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I picked up a pair of Dyna muffs to replace mine, one got ripped up during DE-goating, what are peeps doing to plug the hole in the side up front?

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked up a pair of Dyna muffs to replace mine, one got ripped up during DE-goating, what are peeps doing to plug the hole in the side up front?
Which part needs plugging, the head pipe?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Im not somewhere I can take pics but... the front of the mufflers where you'd slip onto the head pipe extension have about an inch round hole off the inside, looks like a spot for another pipe to attach?

·
Clint '89
183 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im not somewhere I can take pics but... the front of the mufflers where you'd slip onto the head pipe extension have about an inch round hole off the inside, looks like a spot for another pipe to attach?
Front? Up by the engine?, head pipe extension? On the right just before the pre-chamber? Its a 15 degree pipe bend? I can't think of any reason to re route it; from an engineering perspective. If its just a hole, maybe we've all got it, try some exhaust polymer, then heat spray, and finally fiberglass engine wrap.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Just got home. Here's what im looking at, on the left end of the pic. Think I'll just tack in a couple coasters.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
That hole is used for a cross over pipe to connect both exhaust together. You may be able to find a freeze plug that fits that size hole.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts