Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it will return, but is there a way to remove or lessen the blue on the pipe the first 3 - 4 inches after the exhaust manifold?

I'd like it to look pretty when I sell it.

Jon

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I have also noticed some blue on my right exhaust piped, didnt know it was there till i started to polish out the pipes. Will give the BLUE a try. Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
483 Posts
How did the Blue Job work for you guys?

When I installed air filters in my bike.. I soaked them in oil and must have left too much oil on them.. Oil leaked onto the muffler while I was driving causing smoking and burning.
Now the pipes are pretty rough where this happened. I tried oven cleaner and mothers chrome polish but its not coming off.. Thoughts?

Thanks

Jay

·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts
I know it will return, but is there a way to remove or lessen the blue on the pipe the first 3 - 4 inches after the exhaust manifold?

Jon
You should try to eliminate the problem. Blueing is caused by incorrect air/fuel mixture. If the pipe is blue near the manifold it means you're running lean. If it is blue 4 or 5 inches down the pipe you are running rich EDIT I had it reversed. I think it is correct now.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
I agree you should resolve the cause to avoid long term damage . To get rid of it would require re-chroming since the pipe turned blue from too much heat :-(

·
Super Moderator
11,810 Posts

Jon
If they are stock pipes , you need to either fix the problem or leave the pipes alone. Because if you are selling the bike you could be accused of trying to cover up a problem by removing evidence of it.

KM

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If they are stock pipes , you need to either fix the problem or leave the pipes alone. Because if you are selling the bike you could be accused of trying to cover up a problem by removing evidence of it.

KM
They are MAC aftermarket pipes I got from Cyndy. It is possible it was running too lean, will check after I get it running.

Jon

·
Super Moderator
11,810 Posts
They are MAC aftermarket pipes I got from Cyndy. It is possible it was running too lean, will check after I get it running.

Jon
Gotcha. Some aftermarket pipes do "blue" even without a overly lean mix.

I actually like the bluing... Know it looked cool on the old Norton Commando I rode.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
Gotcha. Some aftermarket pipes do "blue" even without a overly lean mix.

I actually like the bluing... Know it looked cool on the old Norton Commando I rode.
What year?
I'm going to see if I can get my dad to start working on his again this winter and maybe even let me ride it next season. He's got a 78-79 750 to put back together.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
^^^ Oh that's a beautiful machine.

Wow... learn something everyday. I had no idea there was anything to take off the the bluing. Got some melted and burnt on cleaner crap on my front pipe that maybe this stuff will get rid of.:smiley_th.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
I'm one of the few people who 100% disagree with that statement. if hte bike is jetted properly, then the pipes should not turn blue, or have it return once it's been removed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts