Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard a little noise, so I checked the left muffler. Cracked right through! I removed the busted one and liked the way that one sounded, so I removed the other muffler as well. Goats belly still in place.
Cost me nothing, sounds good with a deeper tone than stock, looks ok, and the bike did half the work of removal for me!

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
My muffs both cracked the same way, I rode like that a bit and I really liked the sound but I realized two negatives, without the muffs you’ll get some soot build up on the bikes do back wheel. I also noticed the sound is very “droning” during longer highway rides because it’s right underneath you.
Ride that way for a while and make your own determination of course, but that’s my experience. But since the clamps were broken off it gave me the chance to get a 2” hole saw in the back end to cut out the screen and I was able to then cut the mounts for the baffle. It took a little work but I got them out and then sealed the clamps back on with high heat JB weld putty and exhaust tape. End result is fully gutted mufflers that really are just hollow exhaust tips.
At the very minimum if you decide to go without the mufflers, you may want to look for some kind of turn out to keep the crud off your back wheel

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good points, just the feedback I was looking for. For now it was a quick simple fix. I’ve chucked the busted one and kept the hood one and all hardware. I may switch back after a while or mod it more depending on how i want to change the look or sound

·
Registered
8,852 Posts
I've got a spare muffler that's broken just like that. Really common for these mufflers.

That should be easy to mig weld back together, it's covered by the heat shield so it wouldn't be seen.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Good points, just the feedback I was looking for. For now it was a quick simple fix. I’ve chucked the busted one and kept the hood one and all hardware. I may switch back after a while or mod it more depending on how i want to change the look or sound
glad to throw in my 2 cents. I really like the way they sound gutted, as spockster mentioned if you got access to a welder then it’d be an easy fix but if you decide to gut them do it while the clamp is off because you can cut out the baffle more easily.

Attachments

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ll have to fish the busted one out of the trash. I saved the good one. My uncle welds so I’ll have to give him a call and a 6 pack. Hole saw ought to do for punching out the baffle, right?

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
Hole saw for the front of the baffle and the screen on the clamp side, then I took a thick work glove and a hacksaw blade to cut the 4 post holding the baffle in the middle of the muffler. Harder to do on the intact muffler though.

·
Premium Member
1,068 Posts
If my mufflers didn’t crack I wouldn’t have put the effort into keeping the stock look. For me I didn’t want to deal with the swing arm clearance. But if they break again then I’ll probably look at removing the GB and getting HD muffs to go frigh on the headers.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I rode put about 8k miles on my bike with the stock mufflers pulled. I got soot buildup on the rear wheel, so I echo putting in turnout exhaust. Also, one of the heat shields clamped to the muffler, so the heat shield eventually cracked from flexing.

I was going to put these Gibson turndown exhaust tips on it, but my engine ended up not surviving a total rebuild, so I never got around to it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts