Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'morning all!

I am almost done my degoating and ear shave process and have a quick question about the exhaust.

To save money and my exhaust are in very good condition, I chose to just get pipes cut to replace what was removed when degoating. I have that gray gasket in the muffler end still and wanted to know if and how you all dealt with it when going the route I chose for now.
Any info would be great.

Thanks all!

Kristoco

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
So do the new pipes slip over the old ones? If so, how well do they fit? Are they snug? Does it seem like you'll need a gasket?

If it's not bigger than the original pipe, just weld it on or buy a coupler.

If it's a snug fit, buy some copper permatex, it's good for exhaust.

If it's much bigger than your bikes pipes, leave the old gasket on and try to work with it.

Pictures would help

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The end that goes over the header pipe is snug and will close well with the clamp. The end that goes into the muffler is my issue. The muffler has the gasket it it. I'm wondering if anyone's had experiences with it and their thoughts. If I remove the gasket then I'll have to go and get the pipe expanded to fit tighter yet some have said to try to fit it into the gasket as best i can. So I'm a little unsure.

·
Crowley
1,263 Posts
Does the new pipe go inside, or outside the muffler?

I would leave the gasket, try to work it onto the new pipe, but I'd buy the permatex and smear it on parts to connect.

Or you can ditch the mufflers and buy some baffles

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I went and tossed those gaskets and had my pipes modified to fit snug then cut slits in the ends to clamp them on. They're tight and now I'm just waiting for the carbs.

If this degoating and ear shave goes as well as Sticky says in his blogs then I'll be the happiest man around!

Thanks all!

Kristoco

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
Well I went and tossed those gaskets and had my pipes modified to fit snug then cut slits in the ends to clamp them on. They're tight and now I'm just waiting for the carbs.

If this degoating and ear shave goes as well as Sticky says in his blogs then I'll be the happiest man around!

Thanks all!

Kristoco
Yes you just have to admire that guy Sticky. He sure does come up with lots of good blogs about a variety of repairs and topics. I wonder how he got the name "Sticky"?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,092 Posts
I woke up this morning broke,confused and sticky

1 - 7 of 7 Posts