Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1986 Vulcan 750, have just stripped, cleaned and balanced the carbs aswell as some other bits.
I was thinking of V&H exhaust but they'er expensive so I want to drill out my existing exhausts.
How do I go about this? and would I have to have the carbs re-adjusted and re-balanced?.

I am not changing anything pre-carburetta

Thanks

Chris.

·
Vulcan Drifter
25 Posts
I did this and like it. I only drilled 4 holes in each "plate" to start with and like it that way, I may drill more as I get used to it.

www .vn750. com/forum/showthread.php?t=7736&page=2

I figure if I don't get enough noise this way I can still remove the entire baffle to see what I like.

I recommend looking through/bookmarking the verses. There is a lot of information listed here, unfortunately not much on this topic.

www .vn750. com/forum/verses.php

Edit: Not allowed to post links (post count), so just remove the spaces when you paste.

·
If only it had 6th gear..
1,100 Posts
I drilled some holes around mine too. Just through the first plate and that was enough for me. Alternatively you may be interested in sportster mufflers that will fit on where our stock mufflers mount to the goat' belly. Member 'the Deuce' is selling a pair at a reasonable price here: http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20090

You could probably take the baffles out pretty easily with those and just use the goat's belly to muffle the noise a little and give you a beefy sound. I was going to try it but my car decided to swipe 1500$ outta my account this past week. Guess it got jealous of the bike. Good luck tho.

·
gun slinger
1,110 Posts
lop the belly out period

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I of course recommend leaving the exhaust completely stock, as well as the intake system. I DID install a brand new V&H system, loved it around town, but I do most of my riding on the freeways, and they sounded HORRIBLE at 5500 rpm. Even earplugs couldn't stop that awful noise. So I sold them at quite a loss, and reinstalled the stock system, with all new gaskets. The gaskets, including the 4 graphite seals on the "goats belly" cost a good part of what I got for the V&H pipes, and I was STILL happy. An expensive lesson learned.

That was also the first time I have installed an aftermarket exhaust on a bike, and I've had about 40 bikes over the past 35 years.

If you do decide to destroy the stock exhaust, you will probably need to rejet. I did with my V&H pipes, went up one size on both the pilot and main jets.

Not to long after the V&H pipe fiasco, and still wanting that sound, I bought a '97 Harley Road King. It runs at half the Vulcans rpms on the highway, and still makes that nice sound. There is some vibration, but IMO it is not nearly as bad as everybody says. And mine is an unbalanced single cam EVO. It is rubber mounted.

If you want a real Harley sound, get a real Harley. You will not get it from a Vulcan 750. Sound is only a small part of why I wanted the Harley, I also liked the looks, the old tech design that almost anybody can work on, parts availability, and most of all, the fact that the engine and transmission can be easily and cheaply rebuilt forever. BTW, I did NOT join the Harley scene, the one thing about riding a Harley I hate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cheers guys, I appreciate the help on this!

Its not easy to gets parts for these here in the UK. Thats why I want to be sure before I go tinkering with it!

Ride Safe!
Chris.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put the hardkore quiet baffles in my vance and hines pipes and what a difference. Has that nice sound, but not as loud and raspy. Freeway running is perfect now. Well worth the investment.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts