Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my dumb ass broke off the stud on the front exhaust manifold. :doh: i was removing the right exhaust so i could install an engine guard. i soaked the cap nut and the surrounding area with penetrating oil before hand, but it was all so rusted that it didn't make a difference. the stud is too short to re-install the exhaust pipe now. i have been trying to get this bike up and running the past few weekends, but every time i start something i end up with a tool that will not work or find something else that needs replacing. so it has been going rather slowly. since i seem to be having the least amount of luck possible i am assuming that the stud is not a replaceable part and i will have to replace the entire manifold. it also looks like i might have to take the radiator off to get to the manifold. do any of you have any input? is that stud replaceable or do i need to get a whole new manifold? do i have to take the radiator off to get to it?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
The stud is replaceable, but will require heat and maybe drilling to get it out.

If you can remove the manifold, an automotive machine shop could remove the stud for a few bucks.

Radiator should be removed to remove manifold.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I disagree. I have done that job & I was able to move only the top of the radiator. Remove the four 10mm bolts & let it be supported by the hoses. A couple more bolts & an electrical disconnect & the fan is out. Lots of room, no mess with coolant.

Cardboard against the radiator fins.

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the info. i have already drained the coolant, though. i had to replace the fan switch. Plus the bike is a 2003 but it only has 3,000 miles. the original owner only but about 2,400 miles on it. i bought it in 2010 and it has been hit while it was parked 6 times (cagers in NYC are the most terrible people ever!). so until last summer, it was inoperable more than it wasn't. so even though it is 13 years old all the fluids were original. i thought it was a good ideal to go ahead and change the coolant and the oil, while i was looking at the splines and adding all the accessories i have bought. i guess the only real luck i have had is that the coolant and oil were still really clean and no real signs of being that old. The splines also are still almost perfect. there was zero lube on them, but they look really good.

anyway, sounds like getting the radiator out of the way isnt that bad. i guess i need to order some new crush plates so i can remove the manifold and drill out the stud. i guess its a good thing i grew up in an automotive shop. lubing the splines and replacing fork seals is becoming a bigger and bigger project every day!

again, thanks for the info. any and all tips are always appreciated!

·
Registered
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE:

I was able to get the exhaust manifold off pretty easily yesterday! knowing that i didnt have to completely remove the radiator was a big tip. now i am just waiting on the replacement studs and crush plates.

If I can keep from breaking anything else, i might have my bike back together before the end of summer.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11 Posts
I have a question, I just broke one of the studs that holds the header pipe on the right side into the exhaust manifold. The question I have is are the header studs pressed in or threaded?

·
Registered
9,465 Posts
I have a question, I just broke one of the studs that holds the header pipe on the right side into the exhaust manifold. The question I have is are the header studs pressed in or threaded?
Threaded.

The exhaust manifold can be removed to make drilling it out easier.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts