Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
I agree! That's all I have done to mine and it's not bad. Not very loud, but it gives a nice little rumble when you crank her open. It is nice when your riding and you cannot hear anything, meaning the pipes, it's peaceful when all you can hear is the wind and the motor humming.

120 miles a day?! Good god thats a commute! I'm only doing about 50 and I thought that was a lot. Since getting the Vulcan I find myself as a daily rider, even in Cow Hampshire! Such a nice, quiet running bike! Glad to hear you like the sound!

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
How deep did you drill into the metal?

·
Registered
77 Posts
HI Steve
Look up the thread "Making stock exhausts louder" and scroll down to the second posting by ccspinner. Haven't tried it myself - I would like a bit more tone, but I prefer the look of the stock pipes.
Simon

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
What I did

OK, Get a 3/8" drill bit and an all to mark your holes. If you don't have an all you can use a screw. Drill your first hole. Becareful not to go through the second lining of metal. It's about 1/2" ifurther in. Once your first hole is drilled place your bit next to that hole leaving about 1/8" space between the holes. This spacing will come out almost perfect. And if you use your all to mark the holes and take your time drilling, the holes should come out nice and clean. Here is a link to what I used as a referance.
http://www.fortunecity.com/bennyhills/radner/499/

A nice bonus... I may be wrong but I swear the lower gears don't seem quite as "Jumpy" I'm acredditing it to lower backpresure. I spend a good bit of time in city freeway traffic and it was nice this morning being in second gear, Throttling a little and the bike NOT lerching forward. Just my observation.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's really easy to do and it adds atleast some sound to the motor. Before I couldn't even tell if the bike was running or not! This way you get the best of both worlds. It's quiet when your cruzing, as you can't hear the pipes, but when your stopped and giving her some it sounds pretty good. Best of all, it's free!

·
Gnarly Jokester
1,796 Posts
Some riders have degoated for additional throaty sound, but then found that at cruising speed it was too loud, then they went back and regoated the goats belly.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've thought of doing that. But I'm starting to like not hearing the bike when actually cruising along. I'd like a ScootWorks kit....pretty cheap and seems to be better pipe than the flexible crap.

·
Benjammin'
421 Posts
With degoating, some folks report to claim a slight loss in mid-range power. Reducing backpressure may have that affect. (I hope this does not open a whole new discussion- there are lots of opinions on that).

What I found is with holes drilled in my exhaust, it gives it just enough rumble from the back end to sound 'bigger bore'. But more importantly, it is not too loud that I can still hear the engine's power over the exhaust.

I like hearing those twins generating all that power....

·
Registered
125 Posts
I hear ya there! I didn't think that I liked the no noise at the start, but I like the rumble I get when I start from a dead stop then after that I don't hear much of anything.....it's nice....hearing is gooooood!

·
Registered
721 Posts
ok.. I'm bringing this thread back to life...

By drilling 8 or so 3/4" holes (like i nthe pic below) in the inside part of the stock mufflers, I can add a lower and more 'powerful' sound to my bike at the idle speed with out raising the volume at cruising?

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ok.. I'm bringing this thread back to life...

By drilling 8 or so 3/4" holes
Note! I used a 3/8" bit. not a 3/4" bit. That's a big difference. As far as the sound, I don't really don't hear it over the wind much. It's deffinatly not too loud. I had a set of cobra slip-on's and switched back. I liked the drilled sound better.:smiley_th

·
Registered
206 Posts
Note! I used a 3/8" bit. not a 3/4" bit. That's a big difference. As far as the sound, I don't really don't hear it over the wind much. It's deffinatly not too loud. I had a set of cobra slip-on's and switched back. I liked the drilled sound better.:smiley_th
I want to drill my exhaust and have the 3/8 drill bit. What drill did you use? I have a 7.2V one and i dont think it will be powerfull enough.:confused:
:rockon:

·
Lebanon, NJ
437 Posts
I want to drill my exhaust and have the 3/8 drill bit. What drill did you use? I have a 7.2V one and i dont think it will be powerfull enough.:confused:
:rockon:
I used a 14v cordless. Try yours, see if it works. Do a few holes in each side at a time. I did 2 holes in each side first thinging that'd be enough but, ended up going back several times. I thing I have around 8-10 holes in each side.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I'm doing something such as drilling many holes, I break out my old black&decker corded drill. It's not worth the frustration of being half way done and so is the battery done. :beerchug:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just completely removed the mufflers from my bike. It sounds sweet in my opinion. Feels like I got a little low end power out of it but can't say for sure without a dyno. Left the goat in of course. Sounds awesome!

·
Registered
206 Posts
I used a 14v cordless. Try yours, see if it works. Do a few holes in each side at a time. I did 2 holes in each side first thinging that'd be enough but, ended up going back several times. I thing I have around 8-10 holes in each side.
Yes the drill did work. It took a little bit of patience, but it went through. Now my battery is dead with 8 holes in the left pipe and 0 in the right one:loser1:
I will finish the job tomorrow probably!:

Here is a pic:rockon:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts