Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I'm see alot of folks saying "pegs down" for ron. I know it's some sort of respect thing, I'm just ignorant to the term. Can someone give me an explanation for it. Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Rather than ride with the passenger pegs stored in the up position, in respect for the missing friend they are left in the down position.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Ok, I'm see alot of folks saying "pegs down" for ron. I know it's some sort of respect thing, I'm just ignorant to the term. Can someone give me an explanation for it. Thanks
I don`t know that I have ever heard it expressed in these words, but in my mind putting the "pegs down" is symbolic of making the bike ready for the spirit of the departed loved one to join me on the ride.

I suppose it is a reminder to the rider of the loss of a brother rider each time we see the pegs down as we come back to the bike after a break during the ride. It is a way to make a connection between their life experiences and our own. The practice probably has somewhat different connotations to each individual, but in some way it brings our thoughts back to good memories and good times with the one who has passed.

·
The Reanimater
847 Posts
With this thought in mind, we could also tie a Yellow or Yellow & Black ribbon on the pegs. Kind of like wearing a arm band.

I don`t know that I have ever heard it expressed in these words, but in my mind putting the "pegs down" is symbolic of making the bike ready for the spirit of the departed loved one to join me on the ride.

·
Jack of all trades
2,863 Posts
one custom we have is tying a black band around the forks or the bars.

·
Premium Member
5,236 Posts
It's the biker version of the Missing Man Formation in aviation.

·
HAWK
2,576 Posts
There is a old tradition that you tie a black bandana on your bike as a reminder of a fallen rider, only to remove it to tie another one when the next rider passes.
The hope is that the black turns white from the sun before you have to tie another one on.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
The hope is that the black turns white from the sun before you have to tie another one on.
That would take 2 days where I live (in the summer).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts