Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have excess oil is coming out of my breather pipe behind the back cylinder. The motor is running well and I can’t think that this is normal. Is there meant to be a reservoir to catch this excess oil? If not any idea how I can go about stopping this rather anoying problem. Thanks Luan

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
That is a new one on me. The crankcase breather hose is at the front of the front cyclinder and connected to the airbox, so I'm not sure what pipe you are talking about..

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do you think the guy who rebuilt the motor has swaped the blocks? I have got cone type air filters directly on my carbs as apposed to the 'air boxes' so any other sugestions. Got the pipe directly into a beer can at the moment. Not to pretty as you can imagine. Thanks L

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
Loony said:
Do you think the guy who rebuilt the motor has swaped the blocks? I have got cone type air filters directly on my carbs as apposed to the 'air boxes' so any other sugestions. Got the pipe directly into a beer can at the moment. Not to pretty as you can imagine. Thanks L
Don't know, can you post a picture?

RB

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi, I am sorry it took so long to get pics but here they are. It is the back cylinder and the overflow pipe is just above the water resivoir cap in the first image. cheers Luan

·
Super Moderator
11,865 Posts
Was not sure what I was looking for from your photos untill I went out in the garage and looked at my bike. On mine, there is a large hex bolt plugging the hole in the casting. ( the one closest to the camera in photo #2) and the only other hole is the one next to it, and it is plugged up on my bike too, with what looks like a flush press in plug.

Which hole is leaking the oil? perhaps the plug fell out. The only "oil overflow" that I am aware of on this bike is actualy called the oil "breather" and it is on the front of the front cylnder...and should be connected to some type of filter.

KM

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is the pipe on the left in photo 2 that spews oil. It bows air similar to the exaust but not as strong when the bike is running so wondering if there will be any ramifications if I plug it up. Perhaps the bike will run better if I do. Do you think I should plug it? ps enjoy our member photo...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Loony,

It appears that you might have a freeze plug missing. Could the "spewing oil" be dirty coolant instead of oil? My bike appears to have a plug in the pipe that your're referring to in your photo, although I can't find any mention of it on the parts diagram. Your bike could probably run fairly good for a while with just a low amount of coolant circulating, plus a little air-cooling effect on the cylinders. When the coolant gets hot, it starts spewing out of the hole where the freeze plug is missing, possibly?

The hex-head plug that you see to the right and in front of the subject "pipe" in the photo is called a "breather plug" in the parts diagram. Your cylinder looks like it doesn't include the breather plug. Maybe a non-usa model difference.

CD in Frederick, OK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thaks a mill for your input. I think I will plug it up soon and take it for a slow cruise to see if it is 'happy'. I don't think any harm can come from it. Cheers L

·
Registered
10 Posts
(Nothing like being redundent but just to let you know.)

I was just going over my bike making sure nothing much had worked loose and checked back there.

The rear cylinder on mine has a plug in there.

The same spot on the front cylinder appears to have a coolant hose going in at that place (reversed obviously).

You should plug it up for sure, and make sure you have plenty of coolant in your reserve tank.

In a rebuilt engine coolant sometimes can get pretty oily. And especially if the water has been boiled off and you are just getting residue and a little water spitting out that hole.

CD your engine looks very clean in those picts!! I wish I had someplace inside to park my bike. :(

Hammer

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hammer,

Thanks for the compliment on the clean engine. In just the past couple of weeks, I cleaned the bike up, put a new set of Avon Venom X tires on it, and got it ready for the upcoming riding season. It's beginning to warm back up here in Southwest Oklahoma, so I'll be able to get it out and start getting it dirty again (probably starting today). I wash the bike faithfully twice a year whether it needs it or not, around the 4th of July and then again around Thanksgiving. I kid you not. Usually, the layer of bug guts is so thick that I almost can't see my bike by July, and then we try to make a run down to the Gulf Coast in October or November each year, so I like to wash the salt spray off of it before winter sets in. And I use the closest carwash to wash it too. Some folks don't like to use a carwash, but that's the only way I've ever washed a bike. It's not so pretty the rest of the year. That's why I appreciate your compliment so much. It don't happen very often!

Speaking of parking your Vulcan inside, isn't that what kitchens are for?

CD in Frederick, OK

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi all, finally plugged up that pipe. Bad idea, after around 10 Miles I felt my left foot slipping off the footrest. When I looked down I was shocked to see oil forcing its way out of the stator cover gasket. Stopped the bike immediately and re-opened the pipe. All is back to the way it was. Have a can collecting the overflow again. As they say on WWF, please don’t try this at home.

·
Registered
25 Posts
From the pics, it does look like the front and rear cylinders are swapped.
Originally, there was a hose with two approx 45 degree bends and about 6 in long that went from the breather port to the intake/surge tank. You might want to make sure that the fitting on the surge tank is capped as it would be letting unfiltered air in. If you look at the left side of the bike between the engine and radiator, you should see where it was originally attached to the surge tank (right below where the duct from the left air filter meets).
A small emissions/breather filter from an auto parts store and an appropriate hose will let you hook the breather port back up - which should stop it from spitting oil.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts