Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok my buddy is coming with a trailer but i wanted to start it up and after 25 sec i noticed exaust smoke coming from the engine area, Is it a bad carb? or like just gunk in it.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
Could possibly have just been condensation in the engine/pipes burning off.
Or are you pretty sure it was smoke and not steam?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Did ya put any kind of cleaner or lube anything in there? Sometimes that stuff'll burn off - alarming, but not serious.

·
Registered
415 Posts
If you just got done working on her. I would bet it is just something got on the exhaust or other engine part that gets warm. Let her run for a good 5 to 10 min and see if she still smokes after that. After I did my stator change I had smells and smoke coming of Angel for 5 to 10 min. Now it's just a minor leak from around the outer housing. (I should have used some RTV!)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ya I am sure it was exaust smoke cuz i could smell the gas inthere. I havent put anything in there Like lube or anything, and I havent worked on her recently. Could It be a blown head gasket? My compression was 150 on the front cylinder and 135 on the back?

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
25 seconds is hardly a way to tell if somethings wrong with the bike.

Go for a ride - see if she's still smoking when ya come back (you say "noticed" so I assume it wasn't a huge amount of smoke). If the bikes running fine a little bit of smoke at startup isn't a huge deal.

If ya pay attention, many vehicles put out a little bit o exhaust smoke now and then (mine does - haven't tracked down why...)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did. but when i gave it a little amount of throttle the bike felt like it was dying. Then when i gave it more throttle the bike kicked and took off.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts