Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everybody!

my '85 vulcan sometimes stalls out at a stop light, and then i can't get her started again. after all the cars behind me honk as they go by, i call up a friend and get a jump, and then she starts right up. i'm under the impression that i have a problem with my charging system cuz the battery doesnt have enough juice to start it again after a bit of riding. i have a maintenance free battery and relocated the r&r right above the passenger footpeg. do yall think it would be a safe bet to assume my stator is bad? lookin for a second opinion before i go ripping things apart. also any ideas of why it stalls out would be helpful too :)

·
Super Moderator
2,568 Posts
dont give up on charging system yet.. its possible its not up to par.. but...

hard starting when warm is a known issue on these bikes... Aside from the charging/battery causing it, the pickup coil mod may be what you need, or maybe irridium plugs, or possibly the coil relay mod..

they all can fix or help warm start issues.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
dont give up on charging system yet.. its possible its not up to par.. but...

hard starting when warm is a known issue on these bikes... Aside from the charging/battery causing it, the pickup coil mod may be what you need, or maybe irridium plugs, or possibly the coil relay mod..

they all can fix or help warm start issues.
Seeing as his bike died at a light (idle) I'm thinking the stator could be grounding out when hot. Step 1 is to check charging voltage at 3000rpm both hot (fan kicking on) and cold. Compare the values. If it fails hot follow slims guide on testing the system. Do it when its hot just be careful of hot things.

If it looks good it may be that you have a loose ground. I had a situation like that a few weeks back and it was just a loose ground.

The pickup coil mod is a good idea, and if you end up swapping the stator I'd do it at the same time. There is also an ignition coil mod that I'll be doing to my bike here soon. It can also help older bikes with questionable wiring.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts