Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Blake W.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tach is only gauge not working. All lights work too. What could the problem be?

·
Registered
659 Posts
Here is something else to check. When I first got my 750 the tach didn't work either. One day I noticed a very slight movement of the indicator when I revved it. I looked closer and saw that the indicator (or pointer) was actually stuck on the wrong side of the little rubber stop that is supposed to keep it from going below zero. I drilled a tiny hole in the side of the body of the tach, stuck a piece of stiff wire in and popped the indicator back to the other side of the stop. Works fine now. The PO told me it had been knocked over in a parking lot, and the impact must have knocked the pointer onto the other side of the stop.

·
Blake W.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Still working on the tach but got to drive it yesterday and the speedometer wasn't working. Pulled the cable loose from the front wheel and spun the cable with my drill to see if the gauge worked....it did. Could the sensor on the front wheel be bad? I did notice the cable just slips into the sensor into a slot. Can the cable slid back of the slot and not spin?

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Check to see the condition of your drive gear that runs the spedometer gear. I had two of these go bad. The corners that go into the spedo gear should be nice & square. If they're not, it can slip.

Part 41064

·
Blake W.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks I'll check the gear. I got the tach working....damn loose wire....lol

·
Blake W.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Think the gears are bad. Gonna try to find another unit and thanks for the digrams kanuck. Helped alot.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Which wire was loose?
I have a similar problem... but mine kinda tries to move, except it just bounces around in the first couple 1000 RPM or it just stays at 0. I'm almost thinking it's the mechanism in the tach itself rather than a wire, especially cause I changed out the wiring harness already, but I suppose looking at the wires again wouldn't hurt...

So which wire was it for you?

·
Blake W.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are two wires on the top of the coil. Mine was the rear wire that was unplugged.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Ceal, I too had a Tach problem. Mine started (out of nowhere) bouncing around 1000 to 2000 RPM range and every now an then it would just quite altogether. Then it'd start that ole bouncing crap again. Just so happened I had another Tach. so I plugged the other one in and it worked properly. So, I took it all apart, replaced the Tach and all is well.. almost... now, although it is working, at around 4000 to 4500 RPM the needle is fluctuating a little..... so, if you've found the reason for your problem .. let me know please... Thanks

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
haven't found it... I tried to open up the tach itself, but there's a screw I can't take out (at least not without breaking something) so I've left it as it is for now... I wanna see if I can find another tach that isn't expensive... if I can, I'll just break something to get it open and see what made it act like that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts