Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious how many out there love their Vulcan(I know ALL do!) but wish they could make it a one of a kind, wish\dream bike with a new paint scheme? Thought this could be a fun post. I know some like matte black (could do by self probably?), some like other things, sparkly paint, skulls, etc. Myself, if I had someone who could do it(within $ reason) would love to have the two fenders, tank, and 2 side covers painted Van Halen colors. Then, the VH logo on the tank. Has been my favorite band since 12 years old, working on a lobster boat in Kennebunkport, Maine. Not that anyone cares, but the attached images are what I would wish for. What would YOU wish for, say, if you had a good painter who did it for the art, not to get rich off you ? Thoughts are endless! :grin2:

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m good with paint scheme, I think I would like no badging, but to have them airbrushed on instead.

Van Halen …… David Lee Roth or Sammy Hager era. Both excellent.
I hear ya, Scooter. My bike looks good as is, but there are tiny paint flakes here and there from age. Less than 1mm in size. I just colored them in with a black sharpie. But when I am doing that, I just get ta thinkin, and it ain't always good! lol Just thought it would be a good thread to get opinions and engage. :smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,833 Posts
I’ve always thought about getting a tattoo, but I never found something that I loved so much I would want it permanently placed on my body. Custom paint on a motorcycle is kind of the same.
I’ve seen some awesome paint jobs, the one where some guy did his entire FJR with H.R. Giger inspired intricate graphics likely the best. The sport bike with the WW2 fighter scheme was pretty cool too.

I know if somehow I scratched my stock paint I’d feel bad, so if it happened to an expensive custom job I’d likely get physically ill LOL.

I think instead of some complex graphics I’d rather have some deep metallic color with enough clear coat so it looks like the parts are covered with glass.

That or everything painted with a bright green reflective surface so the bike seems to glow at night ;)

·
Registered
269 Posts
I used bed liner... but my petcock (rebuilt 2x, could it be just bad luck with rebuild kits) and gas cap are leaking (got new o-rings coming and blew out the vent, still leaking) so the bed liner is now faded. It looked amazing at first, and the fenders and side covers turned out great. I want a durable finish that has 0 maintenance. Perhaps cerakote is more along the lines of what I am looking for. It takes me about 2 hours to polish the harley completely, and that's using lemon pledge between waxes.

Reactions: 1RadCJ5

·
Premium Member
533 Posts
Ha I throw a vote in for David Lee Roth! As far as the color scheme goes, I would like to black out the motor and replace all the chrome accents with copper. Couldn’t find any pics that really captured my vision but I’m sure you get the idea.

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Really been wanting to try some hydrodip. Crazy amount of choices out there. I'd even dip my guns in it.

In the old days I'd call Lance over and in two hour he's freehanded a whole race car in the most fabulous artwork. Kick me now for not cutting any piece out and keeping it on the walls.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve always thought about getting a tattoo, but I never found something that I loved so much I would want it permanently placed on my body. Custom paint on a motorcycle is kind of the same.
I’ve seen some awesome paint jobs, the one where some guy did his entire FJR with H.R. Giger inspired intricate graphics likely the best. The sport bike with the WW2 fighter scheme was pretty cool too.

I know if somehow I scratched my stock paint I’d feel bad, so if it happened to an expensive custom job I’d likely get physically ill LOL.

I think instead of some complex graphics I’d rather have some deep metallic color with enough clear coat so it looks like the parts are covered with glass.

That or everything painted with a bright green reflective surface so the bike seems to glow at night ;)
LOL Knifemaker - My 86 is a good ride, but a paint job is not as permanent as a tattoo, haha. Your right that it would suck to get scratched, but mine has blems now, so screw it, it would be cool to have. Don't plan to shell out the cash, unless some good painter needed work during this virus, in which case, I'd seriously consider it. Some graphics are crazy cool, some not, it's every persons choice of art. Some like it as-is. I love nice thick clear coat though, that glass look is mazing!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I used bed liner... but my petcock (rebuilt 2x, could it be just bad luck with rebuild kits) and gas cap are leaking (got new o-rings coming and blew out the vent, still leaking) so the bed liner is now faded. It looked amazing at first, and the fenders and side covers turned out great. I want a durable finish that has 0 maintenance. Perhaps cerakote is more along the lines of what I am looking for. It takes me about 2 hours to polish the harley completely, and that's using lemon pledge between waxes.
Cerakote would be cool, MSattler - Guns ALWAYS look good in that, and durable!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ha I throw a vote in for David Lee Roth! As far as the color scheme goes, I would like to black out the motor and replace all the chrome accents with copper. Couldn’t find any pics that really captured my vision but I’m sure you get the idea.
mmart - Diamond Dave has my vote too! - Copper on that blacked out engine would really pop. Cool vision, I like the ideas here!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Really been wanting to try some hydrodip. Crazy amount of choices out there. I'd even dip my guns in it.

In the old days I'd call Lance over and in two hour he's freehanded a whole race car in the most fabulous artwork. Kick me now for not cutting any piece out and keeping it on the walls.
Seems you have seen a lot in your day, Spockster! If I had a friend who could freehand and paint, my thoughts and visions would be already done. I could always go back to basic black. I'm sure hydrodip looks insane. Would love to see pics of all the old stuff, and even the new!!

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Cj, sometimes Ive been a virtual Forrest Gump .

YouTube some hydrodip videos, then Goole hydrodip kits ... Materials. Easy to get lost and waste a day. Cover your ride with dollar signs, pot leafs, skulls, flames, sticker bombs, etc.

It's durable stuff, kawi does it for camo ATVs. Not so pricey, if you can come up with a water tank, old swimming pool. Etc. Has to be deep for lageer parts, like atv bodies etc.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Cj, sometimes Ive been a virtual Forrest Gump .

YouTube some hydrodip videos, then Goole hydrodip kits ... Materials. Easy to get lost and waste a day. Cover your ride with dollar signs, pot leafs, skulls, flames, sticker bombs, etc.

It's durable stuff, kawi does it for camo ATVs. Not so pricey, if you can come up with a water tank, old swimming pool. Etc. Has to be deep for lageer parts, like atv bodies etc.

Watched some of it on Youtube, Spockster. Awesome stuff. With practice, I bet some people would be pretty darn good! Add a few good coats of clear coat after and wow! Could probably be done in a 30 gallon fish tank, I have one in my cellar, even has the heaters to keep water warm. Not sure if I have the kahoonies to do it myself, but it's tempting to consider. Even found the Van Halen pattern! lol :doh:

·
Grumpy Old Man
34 Posts
Watched some of it on Youtube, Spockster. Awesome stuff. With practice, I bet some people would be pretty darn good! Add a few good coats of clear coat after and wow! Could probably be done in a 30 gallon fish tank, I have one in my cellar, even has the heaters to keep water warm. Not sure if I have the kahoonies to do it myself, but it's tempting to consider. Even found the Van Halen pattern! lol :doh:

Maybe you could buy some tins off of eBay and give it a try, Then post your results :smile2:

·
Registered
7,729 Posts
Hydrodip looks easy to me, just have to get the plunge technique. Clear coat is part of the process, or satin. Might not clear coat a gun etc., But body panels.

Maybe $100-125 I figured to dip an ATV, $200 - for UTV, for the sheets and activator spray.

An Ez-up pool for big stuff, but I also thought of using a redneck hotub, a tarp in truck bed..... Drive down to the local water depot with $3 in quarters and fiikler up. Plenty of space right there on the side, park, dip the stuff, then drain the water out . Already gave an Ez-up pool away.

YouTube has people putting paint onto water, and dipping into that.

I saw a 20 yr old Polaris Remington Edition that sat outside year round most of it's life and it still looks good.

I wouldn't touch my brand new tank, but my fenders are burgundy?, And the '05 tank is black/silver. It almost blends with a quick glance, but then it's... Hmm. Traded the '03 covers for mint chrome with forum member from Illinois. My bike is from everywhere, lol. Complete exhaust came from Texas , need my PC over here to look everyone up. I sent a Mustang seat to Norway, that guy hated it too, at least I warned him about it.

Never see most of these guys any more.... Wonder where Ole Doc has been?

For a brief time I was hyped up about that spray chrome process, There's a post here somewhere. I knew I wasn't going to open a chrome shop... Just too tired back then. Spray chrome looks like magic.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hydrodip looks easy to me, just have to get the plunge technique. Clear coat is part of the process, or satin. Might not clear coat a gun etc., But body panels.

Maybe $100-125 I figured to dip an ATV, $200 - for UTV, for the sheets and activator spray.

An Ez-up pool for big stuff, but I also thought of using a redneck hotub, a tarp in truck bed..... Drive down to the local water depot with $3 in quarters and fiikler up. Plenty of space right there on the side, park, dip the stuff, then drain the water out . Already gave an Ez-up pool away.

YouTube has people putting paint onto water, and dipping into that.

I saw a 20 yr old Polaris Remington Edition that sat outside year round most of it's life and it still looks good.

I wouldn't touch my brand new tank, but my fenders are burgundy?, And the '05 tank is black/silver. It almost blends with a quick glance, but then it's... Hmm. Traded the '03 covers for mint chrome with forum member from Illinois. My bike is from everywhere, lol. Complete exhaust came from Texas , need my PC over here to look everyone up. I sent a Mustang seat to Norway, that guy hated it too, at least I warned him about it.

Never see most of these guys any more.... Wonder where Ole Doc has been?

For a brief time I was hyped up about that spray chrome process, There's a post here somewhere. I knew I wasn't going to open a chrome shop... Just too tired back then. Spray chrome looks like magic.

I saw the different paints being poured on Youtube yesterday, Spockster. I'm not that brave yet. My 750 is still looking pretty good, and it's stock, except for the TOC cam chain tensioners. I think my next move will be to plug the two vac lines coming out of my cylinder heads, and reconnect them, going to the vacuum thingy under seat, to see if that causes that occasional rev at a stop, that goes away when I feather the clutch a tad. Cant find vac leak anywhere else. Think you call it "Marbleing". That's for another thread I think, so not going there there.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts