Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Rider on the Storm
1,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I never have. But I almost did today. Cruising through the country roads of SW Ohio, I got lost. (It's a long story.) In any case, by the time I found a gas station, the needle on my gas guage was well below the red line, and I had the tank on reserve. When I filled up, I put 3.056 gallons in.

I can't remember what the capacity of our gas tank is. But I would be interested to hear any stories about running out of gas or almost running out of gas. And how far can we really go when the needle's well below E?!

·
Registered
802 Posts
First week I had the bike, I ran it out to see what the mileage would be. 132 miles. Good to know. But ask me why I ran out again. :doh:

·
Love My Baby
1,165 Posts
Hi EasyRector. You used 3.056 gallons, and our tank capacity is 3.566 Gallons (US, 13.5 liters). So you were down to 1/2 gallon remaining in your tank. Note your gas mileage so you can even better estimate how many miles you can go before you HAVE to get gas. The most I've gotten in gas mileage was 52 mpg with straight highway driving. I ran it for 192 miles and put in 3.5 gallons exactly. I had little choice because there weren't any gas stations around for quite a while, and I had refused to stop at a Citgo station because I hate to give my money to Hugo Chavez. I got lucky and there was a Sunoco station less than a mile away.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
hehe.... I got it down to 3.26 gallons the other day. At least for my bike - that's pretty much the limit. Actually stalled out (while on prime) and had to sit with the bike tilted to the left on prime for a minute or two - then straight to the gas station ;-)

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
I have only run out of gas one time in my life, and that was years back riding my TS 185 Suzuki.

I was coming down a hill and the bike sputtered and started to die, I reached to switch it to "reserve", but found it was already in the "reserve" position.

I pulled in the clutch and coasted down the hill. There was a gas station on the corner, but I had to get through the intersection to get to it, and the light was red.

I slowed down enough to pisss the cars off behind me, but managed to get to the cross street just as the light turned green. I coasted right up to a pump and stopped.

A guy filling his car up next to me that watched me pull in turned and said that I had the quietest bike he had ever seen.

KM

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I've found that running low on gas has one other risk. Where the fuel petcock is located & where the fuel is on a hill can be a bad mix. Alteast till you get to the other side! =)
Personal experiance. =(

·
1990 Fixer Upper
25 Posts
I ran out of gas a few weeks after I got my bike. I was so mad at myself for letting it happen. I got off of my bike and walked around it a few times and then remembered I turn the fuel off the night before.

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
I ran out of gas a few weeks after I got my bike. I was so mad at myself for letting it happen. I got off of my bike and walked around it a few times and then remembered I turn the fuel off the night before.
Sounds like you need one of these stickers like I used to have displayed right under my ignition switch :

http://tinyurl.com/5tmjes

KM

·
Vintage bike addict
859 Posts
Used to run out occasionally. I looked pretty stupid hitch hiking with the gas tank. At least no one was inclined to steal a bike without a tank on it.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I've done that on the quad before. Made it out on the trail and it died. Had just filled up the tank with gas, so that was what I suspected was wrong. 10 minutes of choice words for Shell, then I see I hadn't switched it back on.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Used to run out occasionally. I looked pretty stupid hitch hiking with the gas tank. At least no one was inclined to steal a bike without a tank on it.
OK, I've never heard this one before!

I ran out at 112 miles one day, but I had been doing alot of very short/stop kind of stuff all day, then a mad dash down the 4-lane at pretty much full throttle. Went to reserve at 107 and ran completely dry at 112! I do get 47 to 49 on the hwy as long as I am being mellow, running 50 to 60. I still try to get gas at 100 miles, just to be sure, but I am almost always only putting in 2.5 gal or less. I always use the odometer and never trust the guage. On mine anyway, once the needle actually starts moving at all from full I figure I'm at about 1/2 tank. When it gets below the "half" mark I can pretty much watch it drop.

·
and the Adventure Cycle
6,141 Posts
I've never completely ran outta gas.
I have had a few instances where I'd run out while on "Run" and by the time I got to "Reserve" it took a little while before the bike would fire back up.
I did have on ride that I thought for sure I'd run out. Was at about 170 +/- miles before we found a gas station. That was the closest I've ever come.

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
I was looking at this post this morning and headed for the gas station this afternoon . . . and you guessed it, I ran out of gas! I have been having some electrical gremlins which cause one cylinder to cut out. The whole bike then dies and I usually just wiggle some wires and it fires right back up. Today is sort of did the same thing - cut out on one cylinder then died altogether. But this time it wouldn't start back up no matter what wires I jiggled. Then it occurred to me that I was out of gas! Funny thing is the symptons were the same. I guess with a 2-carb set up one carb will run out of gas before the other. I hadn't thought of that before.

Well anyway a guy stops (I should put this in the Biker Code thread too!) who turns out to be a biker (he has a Yamaha 650 rigid chop). He takes me to his house grabs some gas and we get it going again. Says he always stops for bikes in trouble. I know he wont read this but I'll give Kevin a public thanks anyway! :smiley_th

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
The day this post fiirs hit the forums, I was heading to work and had to switch to reserve about 15 miles from work. Usualy when I do this I stop for gas at the gas station just outside of my work...but today I was going to leave my bike at a friends house and catch the last few miles with him Well on my way home I whent to the gas station...about 50 yard from the station it ran out of fuel...138 miles

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
I hit reserve once when I first got the bike, thats when I found out how quick the gauge drops after half tank. since I usually gas up no more than 120 miles! I don't like to walk from my house to my bike let alone from my bike to a gas station and back!
does our bikes mix the reserve gas regularly or is that gas just set aside till used and getting stale if not used?

·
Registered
802 Posts
I did learn if you do have to switch to reserve, don't shop for a good price. Stop at the next station you see.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
I hit reserve once when I first got the bike, thats when I found out how quick the gauge drops after half tank. since I usually gas up no more than 120 miles! I don't like to walk from my house to my bike let alone from my bike to a gas station and back!
does our bikes mix the reserve gas regularly or is that gas just set aside till used and getting stale if not used?
I've recently had my fuel cock out. So. I got a good look at how it's set up. Think of it this way. Take two staws at two different lengths. The tall one is where you get "run" gas and the short one "reserve" gas. All from the same chamber, just different levels of fuel.:p

·
Kawika
441 Posts
I guess with a 2-carb set up one carb will run out of gas before the other. I hadn't thought of that before.
That has happened to me once before (one cylinder cuts out) and I thought it was electrical at first, too...but switched to reserve and it kicked back in with a big WHEW!! from me! Most of the time they both seem to cut out together when running out of fuel.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
That has happened to me once before (one cylinder cuts out) and I thought it was electrical at first, too...but switched to reserve and it kicked back in with a big WHEW!! from me! Most of the time they both seem to cut out together when running out of fuel.
I was thinking about that too. The only thing I can think of why one cuts out before the other is my fuel hose lengths are different.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts