Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm selling an item on Ebay and have my doubts about the current high bidder. They have a very generic bidder id and only a (1) for history rating (from 3 years ago). They've also bid many times in small increments on the item. I sent them an email with an easy "prove you're not a computer" question. Hopefully, I hear back, but what would you guys recommend if I don't? I've never had to cancel someone's bid, but I want to make sure the REAL people bidding have their chance to win.

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
Lots of folks bid cheaply, and every one of us started with low numbers.
I would give him the benefit of the doubt. He is the one risking his money. You don't have to send it 'til the check clears.

·
Undercover Sportbiker
1,097 Posts
Let it ride. THe only problem is that if it turns out to be bad faith bidding, you have to wait like 4 days befroe you can file an unpaid item claim, then another 2 - 4 for ebay to do their thing before you can relist the item and get a refund on the final value fee. When I first started using eBay, I had a lot of my bids get cancelled becuse the sellers wouldn't accept bids form new users. On the one hand, I can understand their point, but you can't get out of a zero rating unless people let you buy stuff. I eventually just started looking only at "buy it now" items and bough a bunch of little stuff to beef up my rating.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I have been an ebay member since 2004 my rating is only a 17 I just dont buy a lot.

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys. Don't get me wrong, I do remember when I only had a 1 rating. I don't have a problem selling to someone with a low rating, because like you say, it's pretty low risk. I receive payment, I ship the item, easy. I've never had a problem before. Just the combination of the reasons listed above made it seem a little fishy, I'm not worried about somehow not getting paid, just that other people may be participating in an auction they can't win.

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
6,446 Posts
^ Ahh, I see. Maybe I should have checked the 'sell or swap' section before posting. Good to know I can score a crack pipe from you too if I can ID your car...

·
Columbus, Ohio
523 Posts
I'm not worried about somehow not getting paid, just that other people may be participating in an auction they can't win.
I am not sure I understand wht you are saying.

Seems to me nobody can win an auction unless he is a sniper. That is what eBay has devolved to.
It makes no sense to bid early, you'll just drive up the price. Wait until the last three minutes, throw in your highest bid, and eBay will offer a nice little bid in your name that is a dollar over the highest bid. The other bidders have to bid their penny-ante bids trying to just barely beat you. Good luck.
A seller can't win. But it is not set up for sellers to win.

As a buyer, I kinda like that. I used to hate snipers, and now I am one.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Hey Matt, why didn't you just list the item here on the buy & sell forum? That is one item that is quite sought after here and it would be nice to see someone off the forum get it. Of course, someone off the forum might still get it, but most of us try to feed the need here before branching outside to sell something. Just wondering... Not shooting you down though...

I've got a bunch of stuff that I accumulated over the years while I had the 750 that's been packed away in my garage that, now that I've built my shed and cleaned out the garage, I'll be putting up for sale here as soon as I can go through it all and shoot photos of everything. It's certainly not required, but it is kind of nice to give our folks here a chance before putting someone through the ebay gauntlet... Don't take this wrong, I ain't trying to be ugly with ya!

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
By the way, I've never had any trouble with an ebay buyer, as way more trust has to be put in the seller than the buyer. I have had one seller that sold me damaged goods and tried to cover it up. Ebay did nothing for me, in fact their reply was "you received the goods so our hands are tied". Cost me $250 to get it repaired, on top of the $138 I paid for it. Turned out the photo on the ebay auction was a stock photo of the camera and not the actual photo of "the" camera. I paid the guy within minutes of the end of auction, like I always do if I win the bid, and it took him 2 weeks to send it to me, then it was broken, and still had all the MFG stickers all over it, where the photo on the auction didn't. Lens was turned sideways and of course it didn't work at all. Then the guy left me negative feedback! All I could do was respond to it. And of course ebay wouldn't take the negative feedback off my record. It finally dropped off after several years.
He's the only jerk I've had to deal with though. Usually very pleasant. I kept an eye on his username and watched his feedback, and after he had several negative reports, he dropped off the system.

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
I wont sell on ebay anymore I was selling a Snap-On solus pro like many auctions you see i reserved the right to end the auction early because it was for sale locally as well. ebay flagged and removed the listingdue to the fact that they said it violated their terms of service. since it was listed it had to sell there nowhere else. they kept my money wouldnt let me relist it without paying again and after that i was done. when i sell my backrest and such it will be listed on here.

·
Young Gun
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Matt, why didn't you just list the item here on the buy & sell forum?
Honestly, I thought about it (and probably should have) but I have always had really good luck with eBay.

I guess I just chose the road more traveled (in my case).

... plus, dealing with such a bunch of guys as I've seen around here, I'd be more inclined to give it away! And I really need that R/R replacement cash!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts