Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many of you have heard about ethanol in gas which is basically alchohol raising hell with rubber parts in in carburators and injection systems, according to some folks. Rumor is it even eats out steel gas tanks. Opinions?

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
its a myth today... back in the 70's when they started experimenting with ethanol yes that was true.. but they redsinged the o-rings, floats and other rubber parts to now be out of neoprene, plus they have put a lot of additives in the fuel to help counter act the corrosive elements of the ethanol...

Now is ethanol really that great in our fuel... I am not thinking so... I used to get 400 miles per tank in my ford ranger back in the late 90's, now I am getting a constant 200 between fill ups.. i recently decided to rebuild the engine, transmission, rear diff, and re do all my wheel bearings... and no change to the fuel economy of the truck... still a little over 200 miles between fill ups. The only thing that has changed since then and now... is what they are putting into the gas at the pump.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
Ethanol is the biggest scam shoved down our throats. As much as I want the corn growers to kick butt and have something to market.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I wonder if they put ethanol in the gas here in Mexico... hope not, cause if they do, it's very likely to be the old formula.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Ethanol is the biggest scam shoved down our throats. As much as I want the corn growers to kick butt and have something to market.
Losing 25-35% of your fuel economy with the already limited range of a motorcycle could be a serious inconvenience out in the wide open spaces between gas stations.
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/25/gasWhatGas.html

Edit to add pertinant quote from story link above:

Post note:
There was nothing wrong with the bike, and even under the conditions (load, speed, heat) mileage should not have dropped that far. The "10% ethanol" stickers on all the pumps in South Dakota gave me my first clue.

Simply put, the gas in South Dakota sucks. Regardless of grade (I tried them all), the best mileage I achieved on South Dakota gas was 24mpg, with a low of 20mpg. With my load and driving (flying) habits I normally get 30mpg. As soon as I gassed up in Wyoming and later in Montana, my normal range returned.

There must be a powerful ethanol/corn lobby in South Dakota...what else would make them formulate their gas so that it takes 25% more of it to do the same job.

(And here I thought we were trying to conserve gasoline).

Watch it out here folks…running out of fuel a full 40 miles sooner than expected can really put a cramp in your day.

CUAgain,
Daniel Meyer

·
MANIC MECHANIC
943 Posts
look out the EPA has said E15 is ok for 2001 and newer automobiles.

·
1985 VN-700
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I remember a siliar product back in the 80's called Gasahol. Pretty much the same thing.

·
Registered
105 Posts
I am currently in school at MMI (motorcycle mechanics) and from what I have heard from the teachers there is this. If you have a vehicle made after 2002 or so, you dont have a real problem. Vehicle manufacturers new it was coming and prepared. The problem is on stuff that is older, and small engines. Weed wackers, edgers, lawnmowers............I have several friends that run Landscaping companies and they tell me that they have to replace all the fuel lines and stuff like that at least once a year now. Before they rarely did. I have spoken to several local mechanics that see it everyday in the bike shops. Especially the 70's and 80's bikes. It eats the diaphrams in the carbs and fuel lines, as well as seals and bs stuff. Luckily the Japanese are usually ahead of the game. Everyone should pay close attention to their fuel systems as a fuel leak can be a very bad thing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts