Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I found a local custom bike shop that will take a "donor" tank that I provide and enlarge it to take 5-ish plus gallons as well as paint it a gloss black. Ok, that's cool as I'd like a larger tank BUT they want $800 - $1K to do it. Hmmmm.... decisions, decisions....... Is the extra range gain worth the bucks? I guess it depends on how many long range rides into the middle of nowhere I intend to take. It would be nice to have when doing 80mph in Wyoming and the next gas station is on Mars.

·
Tinkerer
572 Posts
That's a lot of cash to fork out, but end decision is up to you buddy. I'd just bring a filled jerry can on extra long runs

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
x3 there

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bummer, isn't it? I mean, if I could find a place that would do it for around $500 it would have already been done. Perhaps its west coast prices. I wonder what it'd cost in, say, Texas......

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Bummer, isn't it? I mean, if I could find a place that would do it for around $500 it would have already been done. Perhaps its west coast prices. I wonder what it'd cost in, say, Texas......
find a fairly new shop that isn't well known but does good work and let them use your tank as advertising

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've got an enquiring e-mail in to a shop in Ft Worth. I'm curious as to what differences there are in costs. If that shop is within my acceptance level then I have a niece that lives there that could pick it up for me.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
The price is very high but when comparing be sure to compare equal things such as with or without baffles, petcock in place, type of paint and clear coat, etc.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
KC on here has a 5 gallon tank that someone else built on this site. Should look into it and maybe pay the original builder to do it again.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a thought. I don't remember much if he said the original price to do it or not. Its been a long, long time since I read about it.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Stonepoet bought it off a someone here and KC bought it off a her if I remember

·
Super Moderator
1,021 Posts
MAngel may know more also. I think he bought it from stonepoet then sold it.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
anyone heard from Stonepoet lately?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
The member that did the build was junkyardroad....his thread was named "more gas"

Stone Poet had it and sold it to Shark. I got it from Shark.

The workmanship was great quality and the tank looks pretty much stock.

My posts showing the tank here

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks great.

Reactions: OleDirtyDoc

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
KC: did the extra weight of the fuel adversely affect handling? I want a larger tank so I can more easily go on longer rides where the extra range would be needed. That being said, if the ride quality is degraded then I may have to re-think this as a project.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts