Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old basket case 85 VN700 was a parts bike before I got it, came with a 94 VN750 I've since sold...

It ran from the beginning but had a very loud knock/slapping under load, I've had it stripped down to nothing but the frame and engine learning what I could from it. I found the previous owner did a partial ear shave, he put K&N's on the carbs but that was it, I removed all the excess, breather box, tubing, evaporator and California emissions...

I got around to putting the pieces back together and must've done something right, there is no longer a knocking coming from the beast.. running smoothly even under load... :confused:

Could the partial ear shave have anything to do with it?

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
The valve that is under the seat for the emmission does make a little bit of a knocking sound. I am not for sure that is what you were hearing. Also the acct's will make knocking sounds that go and come.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The valve that is under the seat for the emmission does make a little bit of a knocking sound. I am not for sure that is what you were hearing. Also the acct's will make knocking sounds that go and come.
I vote for the emissions valve being the culprit.:)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
new development, it pissed all the coolant out the small breather hole in the bottom of the crank case, oil and water are not mixing, now what... bad or missing seal somewhere? this could have been the culprit as well... looks like I'm going in deeper... maybe water pump seal.

·
Registered
748 Posts
new development, it pissed all the coolant out the small breather hole in the bottom of the crank case, oil and water are not mixing, now what... bad or missing seal somewhere? this could have been the culprit as well... looks like I'm going in deeper... maybe water pump seal.
Yup; water pump mechanical seal.

Also, with the age of the bike, I'd go ahead and replace o-rings and the water pump impeller. The new replacement impellers are slightly different, and seem to be more efficient and cool better.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I pulled the right case cover to find a part not in my service manual, theres a flat washer on the starter gear? (lower right) I couldn't find it in the book, is it supposed to be there?

The pictures in the manual are a bit dark, couldn't make out all the details, is this the mechanical seal for the water pump? the part is pretty chewed up on the inside, like broken graphite.

and this part with the spring, is this part of it as well?

I'm ordering the seals and gasket tomorrow and want to make sure i'm getting all parts needed to make sure the leak is fixed, what do we have here?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Take a look at roaches video here from about the 1-2 minute mark for his removal of the pump seal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgpULglm2Y8
That spring and the part behind it are the mechanical seal I believe.
There is an O-ring seal somewhere too I think.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Hoss, I was cruzing through these videos looking for that part last night while falling asleep:zzz:

I think I know what happened, I broke the end off the mechanical seal, the case cover has alot of wear where the impeller seats, not sure if this is going to be an issue, but I think it all began with the clip that holds the impeller shaft in place, you can see in my pic I had the shaft pulled out a few inces, there was no clip holding that thing in there and it slid right out like nothing at all... the impeller was free floating and was chewing at the case cover and the seal wasn't doing its job because it wasn't seated properly... WOW! Looks like I might have to split the case just to put a clip on the shaft... I wasn't expecting to have to do this, but I kinda wanted an excuse... Wonder what else it half-assed in there?

·
Registered
245 Posts
I pulled the right case cover to find a part not in my service manual, theres a flat washer on the starter gear? (lower right) I couldn't find it in the book, is it supposed to be there?

The pictures in the manual are a bit dark, couldn't make out all the details, is this the mechanical seal for the water pump? the part is pretty chewed up on the inside, like broken graphite.

and this part with the spring, is this part of it as well?

I'm ordering the seals and gasket tomorrow and want to make sure i'm getting all parts needed to make sure the leak is fixed, what do we have here?
Mine has that washer, so I hope it's supposed to be there.

Those parts look like the ones on the mechanical seal. I remember there being two indents like the ones on that thicker piece.

·
Registered
748 Posts
Mine has that washer, so I hope it's supposed to be there.
I'd hope so, too. Goes between the starter idle gear limiter and the cover; look in the starter motor section of the parts catalog. Group # is 92022A.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
yea, didn't show in the cover removal chapter.
Anyone have a shortcut to getting at the retention clip on the impeller pump shaft?
Do I have to split the case to get at it?

It's obvious someone else had this engine apart before me, the insides so far look fully overhauled, theres fresh cross hatching on the cylinder walls... everything so far visually in very good shape. No worn teeth on anything, chains look new, splines look new.. everything lubed, 2 years since I got it, always looked at it as a parts pike because of the issues it had and how it was presented to me...

Having fun with this either way, something to do after work instead of TV, learning a bit..

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
18mm x 1.5 RHT!!!! No way around it, I was about to use a 3hook gear puller when the local bike graveyard called and said they found a rear axle that shout do the trick. I've seen on the forums somewhere that our bikes have the correct rear axle to pull the flywheel... mine is 17mm... hope to get past this and spilt the case tonight!

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Finally, split the case tonight, what an adventure :loser1:

I found that for the most part this engine is in good shape, the balancers need to be replaced and as for the impeller shaft retention clip... found it in the bottom of the case, its been spread too far and sprung, it doesn't clip into place...

WHY!!!! why would you put something like that back into the engine... I don't think this could have happened on its own...
Now I order the seals, o-rings, gaskets, balancers, mechanical seal & impeller shaft clip...
I didn't want to order everything and find out the engine was toast..
Now I went through the tranny gears to find out whats up there, the fact that I wasn't getting past first gear, I've heard that it can be a kickstand switch or something in the J-Box preventing gears past first, hope so because I don't see any issues here...

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Now I went through the tranny gears to find out whats up there, the fact that I wasn't getting past first gear, I've heard that it can be a kickstand switch or something in the J-Box preventing gears past first, hope so because I don't see any issues here...
The Kawasaki motorcycle Positive Neutral Finder is not electrical, but mechanical.
The PNF only allows shifting into second gear if the rear tire is turning at some (unknown) speed.

Note from the Clymer manual says; "The 4th gear is retained on the countershaft with 3 loose small steel balls that ride in the small receptacles in the raised splines of the shaft. These balls perform the function of a positive neutral finder mechanism."

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
both sets of dampers installed with as much of them as I found

Dampers alone, the set of two has fallen apart, the uper left one has started rotting out from the inside

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Parts to order - help

I need to order the following parts and don't see them all @ www.cheapcycleparts.com

2 head gaskets @ $24 ea, part # 11004-1135
2 exhaust manifold gaskets @ $9 ea, part # 11060-1082
1 (Water Pump) Mechanical seal @ $21, part # 49063-1057
1 (Water Pump) Impeller Shaft o-ring - not found
1 (Water Pump) Impeller Shaft C-Clip (inside crank case) - not found
4 Dampers @ $8 ea, part # 92075-1747
2 Dampers @ $10 ea, part # 92075-1748
1 gear shift Tie-Rod @ $9, part #39110-1073

I know this is not a complete list for a complete teardown & rebuild, I plan on re-using a couple of the rubber gaskets that look good and using sheet gasket material and cutting my own to save some $$...

Are there any other required seals/gaskets needed, or a link to an already completed list somewhere on the forums? Any assistance would be greatly apprieciated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts