Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all, let me say thanks in advance.

Here is the issue with my bike and this just started with in the last month.

I have a 2004 VN750 that I use to commute to and from work. In the morning when I first start the engine, I put it in neutral and the engine starts (of course, with a bit of choke). Once the bike and I am ready (and the choke is off), I put the bike in gear and ease out on the clutch. When I do this the engine immediately starts to bog down & the tachometer goes nuts. If I react quickly enough and pull the clutch back in the engine idles normal as before. If I rev up the engine and pop the clutch then pull it back in, this will allow the bike to operate normally (I may have to do this to or three times) and I can go to work. This issue only happens once. Even if the engine is cold, I can turn off the bike and it will crank right up and operate normally, i.e. no bog issue.

I have this same issue at the end of the day, when I go to leave work to return home. At first I thought it was the side stand switch. However, when I ease out on the clutch with the side stand down, the engine immediately dies. It doesn't bog, it dies so fast you can't pull the clutch in to keep it running. I looked at parts listing for my bike and do not find a clutch safety switch but I'm not sure this would be the issue either. The thing that throws me is the tachometer acting strangely when I start to ease out on the clutch.

One more thing, I can start the engine with the clutch depressed and in gear if the engine does die.

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,126 Posts
I had similar symptoms when i started with the kickstand down in gear. Spray wd40 on the kickstand switch....my tachometer did similar bouncing when i tried to let out the clutch with kickstand down. Lube it.
There are several safeties...

·
Registered
796 Posts
X2 on kickstand switch, mine did about the same thing. If it is a little stuck it will sometimes act like that.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness David.

The tachometer sensor reads off the front ignition coils, IIRC.
Maybe check the coils for function.

The clutch safety switch is part of the handlebar lever mount.
You should be able to see the little button pop out, while standing in front as you operate the lever.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts