Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've designed and engine stand adapter for my '85 VN750 in CAD.

Can you see any issues I may have overlooked?

Perhaps this belongs in the engine section?

Attachments

·
Registered
6,439 Posts
^ Hey buddy, I don't mean to be rude but this is your first post. There's no introduction and no picture of your bike, just an attachment. I'm not sure too many people are going to click on that for fear of infecting their computer. I apologize if you're legit, but you have all the signs of spam. Head on over to the newbie section and tell us about yourself and where you're located. Post a pic of your bike and we'll be happy to give your 'engine stand adapter' a look.

Thanks man.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No problem, that's reasonable.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Welcome to the Vulcan madness Roach.

I`m no expert, but your design appears strong, simple, elegant and complete to me.

Am I am right in believing the 4 1/2" X 7" plate designated piece #5 will be bolted to a post or wall,
in order to hold the stand and engine solidly in place on the work bench while working on it.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Am I am right in believing the 4 1/2" X 7" plate designated piece #5 will be bolted to a post or wall,
in order to hold the stand and engine solidly in place on the work bench while working on it.
Close. It'll be bolted to an automotive engine stand. That way it'll be portable around the garage and the engine stand head swivels to make the entire motor accessible.

This is what it will be used with.
Engine Stand

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Well duh, you did call it an engine stand adapter didn`t you. What was I thinking??
Until I saw the Princess Auto flyer I never noticed that you are a Canuck too.

I estimate Saskatoon is about a 300 mile drive from Lethbridge. Your are probably the 2nd closest member on this forum. Hiabathu in Canmore is about half that far from me. I have a daughter living in Medicine Hat. Maybe we can meet up for a ride down that way sometime. Probably won`t be this summer though, because I`m waiting for a hip replacement operation about the middle of May.

Is this your first MC?

You are pretty close to Lloydminster. Have you heard about the Border Bike Rally in June?
http://borderbikerally.webs.com/

Here a link to the Saskatchewan Lonewolves forum.
http://www.sklonewolves.com/apps/calendar/showEvent?calID=4162102&eventID=115249045

It is a group of independent riders, not motorcycle club or even a riding club, but if they are like the Alberta forum the various groups meet up for coffee at bike nights, and group rides. You might find some locals you can ride with.:smiley_th

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Until I saw the Princess Auto flyer I never noticed that you are a Canuck too.
I didn't have my location posted orignally.

I estimate Saskatoon is about a 300 mile drive from Lethbridge. Your are probably the 2nd closest member on this forum. Hiabathu in Canmore is about half that far from me. I have a daughter living in Medicine Hat. Maybe we can meet up for a ride down that way sometime. Probably won`t be this summer though, because I`m waiting for a hip replacement operation about the middle of May.
Yeah, we're pretty close. I should probably test this bike out for a summer before I go any any long hauls too.

Is this your first MC?
This is my first street bike. I own a few dirtbikes, and have been getting into that for the past couple seasons. I helped my roomate get a CB500 running last year, and rode that around a bit. That was my first experiance tinkering on a four stroke, a little more complex than the 2-smokes I've worked on in the past.

You are pretty close to Lloydminster. Have you heard about the Border Bike Rally in June?
http://borderbikerally.webs.com/

Here a link to the Saskatchewan Lonewolves forum.
http://www.sklonewolves.com/apps/cal...ntID=115249045

It is a group of independent riders, not motorcycle club or even a riding club, but if they are like the Alberta forum the various groups meet up for coffee at bike nights, and group rides. You might find some locals you can ride with.
I hadn't heard of either, thanks for the links, I'll take a look.

I have a bunch of friends that ride here, I'm really looking forward to getting out there this spring. :)

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
That`s cool Roach. Hope we get to meet at some point.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
An update on the engine stand adapter.

After fabrication and paint.
I have to thank my dad for having the pieces cut for me and my roomate for welding and painting.

Test fit on engine.

Fit up on stand.

Engine on stand.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that thing looks cool... how easy is it to spin the engine on it? I want one..lol
Relatively easy. :D

The only downside I realized while installing it is, it won't support the engine if the cylinder heads are removed. I should have thought of that. But it'll work for almost everything else.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Relatively easy. :D

The only downside I realized while installing it is, it won't support the engine if the cylinder heads are removed. I should have thought of that. But it'll work for almost everything else.
Could you increase the length the adaptor and modify it so that it attaches to both lower engine mounts instead of both rear mounts?

Changing one mounting point from the upper rear to the lower front would mean the adaptor`s spine spans the bottom of the engine case from front to rear. The engine is rotated forward ~90* from the bike frame orientation to work on it while mounted on the adaptor bolted to the engine stand. That doesn`t pose any particular problem that I can think of though. Is this feasible?

The engine stand could be modified to allow the engine to be correctly oriented too, if needed or desired. Cut the vertical post at an appropriate height, and fabricate a right angle piece to insert into the base post and extent the cut off top piece of the post over the wheels. The engine will sit on top. I`m sure you can work out the details.

Edit: Ok, slim offered a simpler more elegant solution while I was typing this, but I will leave it just in case it has some merit.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Both are feasable options. If I need to pull the pots, I'll likely just throw it on a workbench instead.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts