Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Banned
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of removing my engine on my 85 700.
The reason for the removal is all of my hoses are leaking, and the emissions hoses are cracked and I want to clean the carbs. So I am going to replace all of the hoses and O-Rings, fuel lines, and add fuel filters.
I have all of the cables, wires, bolts, radiator and hoses removed. I removed the right frame rail.
I have a floor jack under the engine and have it lowered, but I cannot get it out of the frame. The rear mounts won't clear the engine, and it hits on the shift shaft and won't drop down enough to get it out of the right side.
Does it need to tip down in the rear to clear the rear mount?
I have tried everything I can think of to get it out. :confused:
Anyone have any ideas?? I read the manual, and it didn't say much other than remove it from the right side of the frame. :wow:
Thanks all. :beerchug:

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Bill:
On the right of the frame by the upper rear cylinder head is an engine mount bracket that will unbolt from the frame. Remove the bracket and the engine should come out the right side of the frame.
I am assuming by it's abscence in your description, you have not removed it yet. If i'm wrong, I'll try to render further help.
If you take out the engine, consider the ear shave if not already done. I did not do it, but wish I had. That airbox is a PITA., and you could lose the emissions hoses too.
Keep us posted on how you are progressing.

Bronson

·
Banned
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes Bronson, I did take out the bracket on the rear of the frame. As far as I can tall all the brackets and bolts are out.
The rear of the engine near the clutch is what's hitting on the engine frame there, and the shift shaft is hitting the frame as I lower the engine down.
I am going to try ti wiggle it some to see if it will work loose. I hope that I can hold it when it does break loose.
Does anyone have any idea what the engine weighs? I looked in the manual, but didn't see anything.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Sorry about the bracket thing. I would guess the engine wieghs about 200 pounds based on the last time I picked one up and put it on the bench.

The other thing I did during engine removal was remove the gear reduction housing from the engine before removal.

The shift shaft does like to hit the frame on the way out, and the way back in. I wrapped masking tape around it to prevent damage to the splines, and the paint on the frame.

·
Concert connoisseur
2,231 Posts
in my sig is a write up of how I did it, you still have to watch the shift shaft closely but as your dropping the engine turn the handlebars to the left. I did it all by myself but if you have someone to help it would be better, as you turn the bars you gain space between the frame and engine if the engine is all unbolted and on a jack. its all in my signature under stator replacement.
if you get it all the way out you may want to consider stator replacement and balance dampners while your there!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I have been thining over a way to use a "cherry picker" to get the engine out... just no where to bolt it too without hurting the thing.... though.. putting the engine on a stnd of some kind and lifting/moveing the bike from it isn't to far fetched!

·
Registered
900 Posts
I've never done an engine removal yet (sounds like fun), but I think I read somewhere about removing the front drive (that thing that connects to the drive-shaft) before engine removal?,,, and subsequently to re-install the front drive after re-positioning the engine back to the frame? 'just a thought. Ride safe.
yup yup

·
Banned
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was able to get the engine out. I used a floor jack and a friend to help me, and with a little twisting and tilting it I was able to clear the rear mount and slide it out to the right.
I did take out the final drive from the engine and didn't put that in my last post.
If anyone is undertaking this task, something that will help a lot is to remove the coolant line from the rear cylinder on the top left side.
Mine was hitting on the backbone near the air box. Took it out, and it helped a LOT to get the engine out of the frame.
I will post pics as soon as I figure out how to upload full size pics on this post.
Thanks all for reading my rants and helping me out. I really appreciate it, and I really enjoy this forum, and hope to for several years.

·
Registered
105 Posts
When I did mine, I did it my own way. When I was down to the engine mounts, I put a jack under the motor. Then I put the center stand up and turned the wheel to the right. When I got all of the bolts out and the motor was supported by the jack, I turned the wheel to the left. I lifts the frame just a hair and pushes it to the left and away from the frame. Once I cleared the shift shaft, it was just a matter of lowering the jack and moving the frame away from the motor. I did it alone and I did not fight it much at all.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts