Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

engine removal

11K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  robbie7045 
#1 ·
Hello all, this is my first post. So I started a winter project. I have an oil leak coming from the rear head, and a knocking in the front. So I have decided to redo the top end. Then I decided to repaint my bike. It is 2 different colors. So I have all the metal off now, and have almost everything painted. I ordered new heads and jugs and they will be in on Monday the 24th.

Can I order an engine gasket kit, or do I have to order them each? How much of a pain will this be? It doesn't look like there is a lot of room to get the engine out. I have downloaded one of the manuals from other posts, I haven't looked at it yet. What other things should I look at once I get the motor out? While I am doing all this work, I am going to change the breaks too.

#2 ·
You have to order the gaskets, seals, etc. separately. Not too bad, all of the sites have exploded drawings with the part numbers. My personal favorite is cheapcycleparts.com.

Once everything is disconnected from the engine and the right side frame section is removed, lowering and moving the engine to the right at the same time it will come right out. It is heavy so use a jack or friend. The shifter is going to be your only issue, getting it past the left side frame rail.

Boy, without knowing what shape your engine is in makes it very difficult to suggest what to replace. The oil leak in the rear head could be the external oil line, a head or cylinder base gasket. The knock in front can be several things. You are going to have to do an exploratory to determine what needs fixing/replacing. If it has 10K miles or more, or is > 5 years old, I would definitely replace all the dampeners as they are known to fail. Perhaps the impeller seal on the waterpump shaft too.

Jon

#3 ·
I think the leak is coming from the head gasket. When you look at the back and where the top and bottom meet, the oil is there, and then dripping to the left side. The bike is an 86, and the motor came from a 91. (Thats what I was told when I bought it) The bike has 42,XXX on it, so I plan on repleacing as much as I can afford. I figure it's the winter, and I dont do much riding right now.

What do you mean by "and the right side frame section is removed"?

#4 · (Edited)
X2 to replacing the balancer dampers.

Check the stator, and consider having it rebuilt by Tim Parrott Enterprises while the engine is out.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/moto...2187937QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

However, having the stator die on you is not so serious a consideration now that we have TuxedoSeven`s stator replacement modification that does not require an engine tilt or pull.
http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16839

What do you mean by "and the right side frame section is removed"?
The right side of the frame has a long section that comes off by removing 4 bolts.

If the heads you are getting are pre-owned (used), change the little button battery sized, disc shaped, oil filter/screens in them for new ones. That`s the last protection for your cam shafts.

#5 ·
Thanks, I went out and looked at the frame. I would have never saw that. This will save a bunch of time.

I have almost everything off of the engine, except the drive shaft. Do I just take off the 4 bolts at the end of the shaft, or do I have to undo the housing to the engine?

#12 ·
Make sure you cover the intakes or put a clean rag in them in case you drop anything. Just like a dropped socket will roll to the exact center under a vehicle (or hardest area to reach) bits and pieces have a way of gravitating towards places they don't belong. Just a friendly tip.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.