·
Premium Member
1,803 Posts

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Greetings all.

1988 VN750

I will be cracking my case this weekend and aim to reassemble everything to be leak proof. I bought all the necessary gaskets, O-rings, circlips, etc.. I'm changing my shift shaft spindle, coupled with minor oil leaks that resulted in my having changed my stator (last year). I plan to use black RTV upon reassembling the case halves together.

I'm searching for a sealant to substitute all additional gaskets (something to help seal the gasket to both surfaces). Plain and simple, I want no more leaks! Any and all recommendations will be appreciated.
Hey FL have the balancer dampers and the shifter tie rod been replaced yet?
Might want to do them too, while the case is opened up. :smiley_th

Not sure which part you are calling the shift shaft spindle.
Is it the shift lever shaft, that the shift pedal lever clamps onto?

·
Sparky!!!
8,696 Posts
case halves, just use a gasket with very minimal RTV.. you should be able to see the aluminum through the RTV. the only thing the RTV is there for is to hold the gasket in place.

·
Registered
131 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
I think I used Permatex® Ultra Black® for it's oil resistance and vibration acceptance.

EDIT:

I just looked back on my engine rebuild thread, and Jerry had mentioned using Threebond Liquid Gasket 1194 instead of RTV. I did a quick search on Google, and it seems to be a better choice.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts