Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just received my 700 Kawasaki today. When I started to change the oil, I pulled out the oil screen it was full of metal. So my best guess is the engine needs to be rebuilt. Does any one know where the best place is to get a rebuilt kit?

Thanks
Indy Racer

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
There isn't a "rebuid" kit. You have to make a parts list and make your own. It may be easier/cheaper to find a replacement engine and if it is from a 750, it will a little more power.

Before you rebuild, is it running? If so how does it sound? A couple of things that make noise and create metal in the screen are bad cam chain tencheners and another is the balancer. Another thing to check is if the metal in the screen is magnetic.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The metal in the screen was magnetized big time. The oil had metal in it also, however the bike had been sitting for 2 years. The bike is a 1985 VN700. I did not want to put new oil in and damage the bike more. The person I got the bike from said he was riding it when it lost power and he put it in the garage. I will put some oil in it and battery and see if I can get it running. Is there a sequence to starting the bike? I was told there is a special way to start the bike? I don’t know much about these bikes. Could not beat the price free.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
well to start the bike you first stand on your head.....nah just kidding. ummm its just like you would any other bike, key in and in "on" position, fuel petcock on, run switch on, choke if needed (3/4 works well on cold days), and turn her over.

the metal being magnitized can be a good and bad thing. good that it is steal, so the block isnt gone, or not yet if he put her up right after it happend. how many miles on it? any wierd noises? have u started her up yet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I have had the bike running and there is a noise coming from the front cylinder. It appears that the cam chain tenchener may be at fault. I removed the two nuts however there is a clamp holding it on and I have to go to work. Any suggestions on how best to remove the chain tenchener cover or where to purchase a new one? Thanks for the replay. The milage is 17,000, and yes it has been upright.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
I think you are talking about a bracket which supports a metal oil line. If you have a long nose vice grip or some other tool, just bend the "clamp" out of the way - you may need to start bending it with a screwdriver.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Still standing on my head

I removed the cam chain tenchener and it appeared to be fine according to the photos in the service manual. There was no damage on the tenchener. I am hoping I do not have to remove the engine from the bike. Again thanks for the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
With the tensioner on (remember to wind it before replacing) and the bike running, give the internal screw a little counter clockwisae pressure and see if the noise changes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I put it back on without winding it. I will take it back off and wind it. Just a question is there a lock washer or something keeping the tensioner from moving before I start winding? May be it will be easier to the tensioner on this time. Thanks for all of the help.

·
Registered
5 Posts
You gotta wind the tensioner clockwise and hold it while replacing it. If it seems bound up you should take it apart and re-preload the spring (which I would do anyway since you have it off.) There are some great instructions on here if you do a search.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts