Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone, I'm replacing the piston rings in my 750. The rings are factory kawasaki, the part numbers match my manual. They are identical to my old rings. With new rings installed, the pistons are very tight in the cylinder. So tight that I can't turn the motor over with the crank bolt. The pistons were very hard to get in, even with a ring compressor. I'm sure I'm gonna have to take the pistons back out. But I just wanted some opinions before I start over. Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
Did you check the ring end gap before installing? Sounds like there's no gap, and that's not good.

Engine still unassembled?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its still dis assembled. Ring gap is what I figured too. When I compressed them with the ring compressor, they looked like they had enough gap, but clearly not the case. I guess I'll take it back apart, and file the rings to spec.

·
Registered
8,451 Posts
You'll want to insert one ring into the top of the bore by itself. Use the piston upside down to make sure the ring is squared in the bore. Then check the gap with feeler gauge.

Be sure you have the correct size ring for your bore. Stock, .010 over, .020 over, etc.

Is this a re-bore or stock size re-ring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts