Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after gathering parts and gaskets over the last few weeks the engine is pulled and on the work bench. I'm finally ready to fix the shifter linkage and get back to riding before the weather here turns.

Not a bad pull at all! Less then 2 hours and the engine was separated from the bike and on the bench. All tools cleaned up and parts bagged and tagged and ready for disassembling! Taking a break today to watch my Bengals whoop those ravens! Who dey!!

Attachments

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
The bike is surprisingly easy to work on imo. I love the easy access to everything and how easily the motor drops out.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
I lean mine up on a wall opposite the side of the removable subframe and put the motor on a motorcycle jack.when all is unbolted I just slide out the motor

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
I just tilted mine to do the stator and balancer. It wasn't too bad, even had to do the balancer twice because I moofed the alignment. So two engine tilts in one day! Doggone bike shook like jello with the balancer 180° out.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Gonna start pricing the balancers as I REALLY miss Melissa Fahye

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Hopefully can have three running bikes next year;)

·
Registered
7,628 Posts
Gonna start pricing the balancers as I REALLY miss Melissa Fahye
You want to look at the rubbers I took out of mine? It wasn't shaking, just did them because I was in there. Engine looks to have always had clean oil. I stored them in a plastic bag, oiled. Bike had 13,400 miles at the time.

The new ones were no tighter than the old ones, but I wouldn't feel comfortable trying to sell them, so freebies.
Just shoot me a PM with your address if you want them.

I paid about $40 for new ones.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Cool thanks Spockster

·
Registered
44 Posts
You men are much better than me. This is the 2nd 750 I've owned and the first I have to pull the engine from. I need steps. Can you help?
Pulling it because the original owner rigged a stator replacement some time ago. Something went wrong because the magneto rotor has to be replaced now. It's eaten up. Of course, this fact was hidden from me when I purchased this '03 with 17K miles.
So while I have it out to replace the magneto, I'm replacing the stator cover with OEM, with original stator wiring. This rigged mess I bought is ridiculous.
ANY help you can offer is appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Get a clymer manual. It's worth the money.... Also get the proper flywheel puller bolt. My reccamendattention is use actual gaskets not gasket maker because of finite tolerances.
Drain coolant
Drain oil
Remove gas tank
Remove shift lever and left peg assmbly
Remove right break assembly
exhaust
Radiator
disconnect :
Stator wires
Starter wire
Neutral switch wire at the back bottom of case
remove final drive unit and clutch rod
Remove clutch cable first
Disconnect :
Choke cable at carbs
Throttle cables at carbs
Remove left frame piece
Engine mounting bolts
Engine is dropped.
I suggest a friend to help wiggle her out or use an engine jack.

·
Premium Member
3,026 Posts
I also highly recommend the Clymer manual, the flywheel puller, and using real gaskets. Also do the balancer dampers. This is not the place to cheap out. You could easily find yourself doing it twice. Better to do it right the first time. I wound up removing more parts than most people do when pulling the engine, took a little longer, but the whole job got done (by myself) without any frustration, and everything worked fine when I got it back together. The TPE stator I used is putting out more current than the stock one did.

Reactions: slimvulcanrider

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well now that spring is here and high school basbeall after a long basketball season is winding down I get a few minutes to update on my bike.

I split the case for the linkage repair late last year and quickly fixed the problem and began the slow and cold process of rebuilding the engine. After a few steps forward and many steps back I decided to pick up a new to me engine and do the swap for instant gratification purposes while I continue to rebuild my old engine after the bike is up and running. With the new to me engine in and bike 85% resembled we decided to try and turn her over to no avail. We checked for spark... good. Checked for fuel.. not so good. I ear shaved the bike and degoated last year with a ton of other mods. New stator, new rr, I did go to 138,38 jets after the 142,42's seemed a little rich last fall and today yet another new agm battery. With the help of some starter fluid, and throttle I can turn the bike over and she runs and will run till I release the throttle then she is done. I can start her back up run her throtitle open then release and kaput...... I'm asking for your thoughts on my next step. Any and all help as always appreciated. Thanks

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
Is vacuum hooked up to petcock?

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Seems to move very freely since having the carbs off after cleaning rejetting and replacing those gaskets. could be though.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts