Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had my engine out last weekend, was gonna replace a head gasket but everything looked fine so I just ended up replacing the stator cover gaskets and all that stuff. I also got new gaskets for the exhaust. I finally got my k&n air filters yesterday, and I thought forsure the engine wouldnt run because the carbs have not been jetted yet. but... with a lil tuning she sprang to life. I can tell at WOT she needs a lerger jet, but considering work is 2 miles away and a conservative speed limit of 35, i think it will be ok. Plans to jet the carb are still in the near future. One question... when i left off the throttle I am still getting some popping, not as bad as before... but still kinda annoying (even tho i half way like it). I built some coasters monday at work and got those installed and I dont think I have any exhaust leaks, do you think it is because I am running lean via my non-jetted carbs?

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
Usually when you coaster or marble the reed valves, you need to take the covers off the air/fuel mixture screws so you can turn them out to flow more fuel into the jets.

The stock setting should be 1 5/8 turns CCW on US bikes.
IIRC some have been reported to be as lean as only 1 turn out.

Using a fine point felt pen, or some such, mark the screw head and carb body so you can count turns of the screw.
Using a SMALL screwdriver, count the turns IN, while GENTLY turning the screw CW until there is resistance, then STOP before damaging the screw or seat. (record the number of turns for future comparisons).

Turn the a/f mixture screws for both carbs OUT 2 turns CCW and test ride.
If needed, continue turning a/f screw out 1/4 turn at a time, then testing, until popping stops or reduces to your satisfaction.
The front and rear cylinder should need a similar number of turns, but one may need slighty more adjustment to acheive equal reduction in popping.

Maximum adjustment is ~3 1/2 turns out. (5 turns and the screw will fall out.)
When adjustment is finished seal/lock the screw with a dab of silicone. Removes easily later if needed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts