Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, changed my tensioners but that wasn't the problem unfortunately. Bike starts fine from cold but after it gets warm there's a rapid and quite loud knocking or clacking that increases with engine speed under load. I'm fairly sure it's from the top of the front cylinder. Any ideas here? Could it be the hydraulic lifters or the camshaft? It's only really noticeable when the engine is hot - things expand, oil thins....? Is the top of the front cylinder accessible without removing the engine?
Cheers folks
Rich
ps I'm away now for a couple of weeks - not on the bike as I planned unfortunately, so if anyone replies here, please don't think I'm being rude :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
YOu might want to try the Yahoo group if you don';t have any luck here! THey are usually pretty helpful about such things!

·
Registered
1 Posts
camshafts

i have exacally the same problem with my engine. its a mix of cam wear and hydraulic adjusters. and no im afraid that you cannot inspect them without taking the engine out unfortuanatley. i know this because ive tried and theres just not enough space. to make matters worse i have to split the crank case just so i can check the wear on my oil pump, because it is on the internal side of the crank case that it has to be removed from. and when you get quoter £90 per cam and £160 for a full gasket set, with all the other work thats been done its a high bill.. but as they say most of the work ill only have to pay for once :)

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
were your tensioners weak. if so then you may have had the valves hitting the pistion. if this is the case you will need new valves. aside form that the best way to know is to take the engine apart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts