Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to this board, so forgive me is this has been asked before. I was riding today (it was gorgeous) and the engine acted like the fuel valve was shutoff. I checked and it was not, but the bike slowly died. I tried restarting several time, but no love. I finally turned it off and let it sit (as I was wondering how to get home).

After a few minutes, I tried one last time in desperation, and it fired right up and ran fine the rest of the way home (20 miles).

Is this something that I should be concerned about, or most likely bad fuel? Any thought would be appreciated.
Background:
Bike is an 2003, 6000 miles, just bought it 2 weeks ago, I don’t think that it was ridden much recently.
This is my second tank of fuel, 93 octane pure gas on last fill up. I did run it to below ¼ take on this run.

·
2000 VN 750 Senior Member
2,494 Posts
I am new to this board, so forgive me is this has been asked before. I was riding today (it was gorgeous) and the engine acted like the fuel valve was shutoff. I checked and it was not, but the bike slowly died. I tried restarting several time, but no love. I finally turned it off and let it sit (as I was wondering how to get home).

After a few minutes, I tried one last time in desperation, and it fired right up and ran fine the rest of the way home (20 miles).

Is this something that I should be concerned about, or most likely bad fuel? Any thought would be appreciated.
Background:
Bike is an 2003, 6000 miles, just bought it 2 weeks ago, I don’t think that it was ridden much recently.
This is my second tank of fuel, 93 octane pure gas on last fill up. I did run it to below ¼ take on this run.
A few suggestions to start. First, do a search on the topic POOGS. There is an issue with the Vulcan under certain conditions where the bike will respond as if it is out of fuel. The search will give you suggestions for correcting the problem and I am positive others will join in to help you with their advice. I have not had this experience as yet but......... The second suggestion is to do a search on using any octane higher than regular which is 87. The Vulcan 750 motor was engineered for regular octane fuel. Many different opinions are offered in several posts so just read up and make your own decision as to continue with the 93 or go down to 87 regular and save some money.

Good luck.

·
romeobravo172
842 Posts
Showing 1/4 tank, think possibly you were slow to switch to reserve? If you do not switch quick enough, and you are not producing vacume to the pet-cock---engine dies and after switching can take some cranking to get fuel to carbs--Just a thought!!!

·
Registered
194 Posts
poogs!! clean your tank vent!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I cleaned the cap tonight... Great instructions!!! I will see if the cures it. Just did not want to end up on the side of the interstate looking lost. I did not see any obvious signs of a blockage, but with the fine channels in the gasket, it would not take much.

Many thanks for all of the responses. You folks are the BEST! :smiley_th

·
Super Moderator
11,815 Posts
I cleaned the cap tonight... Great instructions!!! I will see if the cures it. Just did not want to end up on the side of the interstate looking lost. I did not see any obvious signs of a blockage, but with the fine channels in the gasket, it would not take much.

Many thanks for all of the responses. You folks are the BEST! :smiley_th
Good.

And yeah, don't use 93 octane in the bike, use regular 87 octane. Not a matter of opinion, the bike runs better on it and its actually better for the engine.

KM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts