Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I finally found an engine guard in great condition. Now I am being bewildered by figuring out how they install on the bike. I know that I read about it somewhere on here but have not found it in a search. If anyone has an install link or good suggestions I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks!

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,751 Posts
what do you need help with? the top bolts onto the frame and the bottom uses the bolts that hold the foot pegs on. also does the engine guard have a bolt on top right side? if so, you WILL NOT need to remove the right side exhaust pipe.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup

Got your post via iPhone while outside looking it over and saw exactly what you posted about. Now I hope I don't need longer bolts but i'll deal with that when I get to it.

LOL, while standing in the driveway looking over my bike, our fox of a UPS driver delivered my new Protac driver seat back! Guess I'll be busy tomorrow since today was clean the K&N filters and reinstall them and go for a ride.

Thanks for your input.

·
Patriot Guard Rider
825 Posts
If later on you are still having fitment issues, package the guard up nicely and ship'em to me. I'll be sure to let you know how the install when. :rockon:

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
what do you need help with? the top bolts onto the frame and the bottom uses the bolts that hold the foot pegs on. also does the engine guard have a bolt on top right side? if so, you WILL NOT need to remove the right side exhaust pipe.

I have one with the bolt on the upper right side, but I be darned if I can figure out a way to get the lower mounting point behind the exhaust header to the footpeg mounting bolt.

I've twisted and turned it about every way but the correct way I suppose. Any info on this puzzle will be appreciated, otherwise I guess I'll be pulling the exhaust system so I can have a clear shot at lining up with the bolt.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
guess I got lucky with mine, taking off the one bolt and they fit like a glove. Now to find some pegs that won't break the bank. Everyone thinks if it shines it's made of silver or gold.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
I have one with the bolt on the upper right side, but I be darned if I can figure out a way to get the lower mounting point behind the exhaust header to the footpeg mounting bolt.

I've twisted and turned it about every way but the correct way I suppose. Any info on this puzzle will be appreciated, otherwise I guess I'll be pulling the exhaust system so I can have a clear shot at lining up with the bolt.
My bar come on the bike new in 2002. There is no way to get mine off or on without taking the pipe off. It has to go on at the same time the bar does. This picture shows the left side but look at the mounting point and you can see where it wouldn't go over the pipe. Right side is identical. Yours may be slightly different and could work.http://www.vn750.com/forum/picture.php?albumid=308&pictureid=1684

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just took the one piece with the bolt completely off of the bar and curled the bar tubing around the header pipe and it fit right in place. If you can't take off that one piece from the guard, then your screwed and the pipe has to come off. I'm glad I didn't have to do that.

·
Headbanger/Popes of Hell
6,751 Posts
I just took the one piece with the bolt completely off of the bar and curled the bar tubing around the header pipe and it fit right in place. If you can't take off that one piece from the guard, then your screwed and the pipe has to come off. I'm glad I didn't have to do that.
there are 2 types of guards, old style and new style. the new style the part that bolts to the right side of the frame is welded, the old style is bolted on.

so with the new style, you need to remove the pipe to put the guard on.

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
Old style here

Mine is the old style. When I tried again last night I was able to wrangle the lower bracket on the right side into the correct position, but no matter what you still have to remove the the right side header from the manifold because there is no way to remove the mounting bolt for the upper bracket without doing so.

If you try to remove that bolt (it is 60mm long not including the head) it will come loose, but cannot be removed from the hole because it hits the header. I suppose you could cut the bolt to remove it, but that would not really help because it needs to be replaced by a bolt that is a least 5mm longer to make up for the thickness of the mounting bracket.

I was able to find some 70mm bolts at the hardware and I cut them down to 65mm so they would not be sticking out on the other side of the hole. Probably not an issue on the left side, but the right side has some wiring going thru the area and I didn't want to take a chance on it chafing up against any extra threads extending out of the hole.

Now I need a new exhaust header gasket. My local Kaw dealer doesn't have crap in stock though. Anyone know of an acceptable substitute from another make?

·
Waterman
6 Posts
keltec

Let me know how you like the Protec backrest. Been thinking of buying one.

·
2 Vulcans
64 Posts
Protac

keltec

Let me know how you like the Protec backrest. Been thinking of buying one.
Got one for my bike and the wife's. We both like them very much!

·
Registered
686 Posts
Well, I finally found an engine guard in great condition. Now I am being bewildered by figuring out how they install on the bike. I know that I read about it somewhere on here but have not found it in a search. If anyone has an install link or good suggestions I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks!
Better late than never...

·
Registered
555 Posts
I did regret getting the protac back rest. It pushed me forward too much. being 6'2 245lbs. I need to lean back a little. lol. the wife likes hers though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts