1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Um, except for the bracket on the left side, which looks like it's being held in place by a bolt. That should be in line with the one on the other side... I do believe the baby took a tumble!

·
The Professor
3,147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Um, except for the bracket on the left side, which looks like it's being held in place by a bolt. That should be in line with the one on the other side... I do believe the baby took a tumble!
Aparently the older guards were made different then the newer ones. Chris "Vulcan89" just dropped off his scoot for engine repairs and his guard is made the same way. I guess it was made that way so if you had to pull the radiator you could remove the guard without removing the right exhaust down pipe.

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
I'm told the engineer who designed those early guards was severely chastised, and then fired. He was planning a similar modification to the frame so stator replacement would take less than two hours!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
I'm told the engineer who designed those early guards was severely chastised, and then fired. He was planning a similar modification to the frame so stator replacement would take less than two hours!

That should include a recall for a foolproof, 1 hour, left side subframe mod, at your local stealership. All in favor say "AYE".

All winter I have been thinking that I would like to make some engine guards that look more "traditional". But now that I can get out and take a better look at the bike, I realize that it will be a more difficult project than I had imagined. I haven`t given up, just have to study this out some more.

·
Registered
950 Posts
I like that one company has a cover that allows future stator replacements without removing the engine. but you have still remove the engine to put it on. I know if I am unfortunate to ever have to replace the stator I will be getting that cover.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thank you, Lance.

I've these on my bike after stealing them from the then "p.o.s." I bought in '04. I do agree at the pain in the @$$ part in this design, but they were the first I had ever found, and for $300 I also had a whole parts bike, which became the P.O.S. My neighbor is working on the timing now with his new/used heads, and been jealous of the crash bars on Hos, so we've been after a set for some time. Perfect timing, as the engine hasn't gone back in yet. Thanx again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts