Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
good compression!

I just ran a compression test on mine, 75psi even. I guess I'll be reading more on top end overhauls in the next few weeks.

·
Just a regular guy
833 Posts
Talk about bringing a thread back from the grave... the original message was in 2011... I doubt it's still for sale.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
I don't know how you're even turning over at that. Did you do the test hot with the throttle open all the way? That's what I'm told is the right way.
the engine will turn over with 0 psi compression, it won't however start and run at 0 psi, but an engine can run with as low as 50 psi compression as long as all cylinders are within 5% of each other.

I am so tired of hearing people use the wrong words to describe a crank but no start situation.... engine doesn't turn over, means exactly what it says, you push the start button and all you get is a click, or even nothing. If the Engine Turns over while pushing the start button, but doesn't come to life that situation is called a "Engine Cranks But Does Not Start". I can keep on going with terminologies.... which I might just start a new thread for.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
It's not just irritating, they can cost a lot of money using the wrong terminology. A guy walked into my shop and told me his engine doesn't turn over, asked me what could be wrong with his car. I told him, bad battery, neutral safety switch, bad battery cables, or a bad ignition switch. 4 days later he comes back pissed of at me cause he spent about $200 on parts and still the engine wouldn't turn over. I drove to his house, and low and behold the engine turned over no problem, but instead it wouldn't start. I checked for spark... No spark, checked coil voltage. That was good. Pulled the cap. It and the rotor looked good, so on a whim I had him try to stay the car.... The rotor want spinning. Pulled the distributor and the gear was good and so was the shaft. I then told him we would have to pull it into my shop. Turned out to be a broken timing chain, a $50 part cost him close to 3500 bucks for diagnostics, service call, and tow... had he been clear with me, I could have had him fixed up tge first time he came walzing in my door.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,361 Posts
the engine will turn over with 0 psi compression, it won't however start and run at 0 psi, but an engine can run with as low as 50 psi compression as long as all cylinders are within 5% of each other.

I am so tired of hearing people use the wrong words to describe a crank but no start situation.... engine doesn't turn over, means exactly what it says, you push the start button and all you get is a click, or even nothing. If the Engine Turns over while pushing the start button, but doesn't come to life that situation is called a "Engine Cranks But Does Not Start". I can keep on going with terminologies.... which I might just start a new thread for.
When I use turn over I mean without the help of the starter motor. Not much good for the starter to turn it over if nothing explodes in there.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
like i said before, an engine can run with as little as only a couple of pounds of compression, as long as the cylinders are even.. I just finished overhauling an air compressor that had 5 lbs of compression on the brigs and straton 5 hp engine... and it still ran.. not well, but it ran.

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
......I am so tired of hearing people use the wrong words to describe a crank but no start situation.... engine doesn't turn over, means exactly what it says, you push the start button and all you get is a click, or even nothing. If the Engine Turns over while pushing the start button, but doesn't come to life that situation is called a "Engine Cranks But Does Not Start". I can keep on going with terminologies.... which I might just start a new thread for.
Down here in the South you'll confuse the heck out of folks with that term. It's "the engine spins or spins over freely but doesn't start". Crank is either it started or going to start an engine. It's all in what part of this country you reside in.

·
Sparky!!!
8,697 Posts
Not true. Depends on if you can readas the troubleshooting guides and reference material words a engine turning over but doesn't start as "engine cranks but fails to start". "Engine fails to crank" refers to the engine will not spin over on the power of the starter. "Engine won't turn over" refers to the engine internals not allowing the engine to spin even by hand, aka seized.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Not true.
OK, call me a liar. If you will refer to the last post of mine, I said "down South. It's all in what part of this country you reside in". I didn't said I reference the 'Slims book of terminology'.

Ol' Webster said "to start (an internal-combustion engine) by turning the crankshaft manually or by means of a small motor." Damn him!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts