Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just want to share a discovery I made in case anyone else experiences something similar. I was having moving issues at a certain RPM range so I checked spark plugs (cleaned them and checked gaps which were good) and suspected maybe carbs so I threw some cleaner in there even though I rebuilt them earlier this year when I did the ear shave since I discovered a bad vacuum leak at both carb boots.

I went to start the bike the next day and it would start and rev but die immediately when I let go of the start button. I am strongly suspecting my battery is on its last legs. I charged it up and the issues all went away. I had also noticed that the DC charging voltage is only around 13.5V which isn't bad but I believe I was around 14.3V in the past. The battery itself was a cheap one I bought 4 years ago that has been through more discharge cycles than any battery deserves to yet still holds a solid charge to this day and doesn't dip below 10V on startup. I still believe I lost a cell when it was laid up for a while and I hadn't left it on a charger consistently in that time. Hope this helps someone else who experiences similar issues

Reactions: Vulcan_Frank_750

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tnx - jogged my memory that a few years ago I had to keep painting rubber sealant on the four carb boots on a Yamaha XS11 Special. I think it was exaggerated by my changing to pod filters and losing the structural support.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts