Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy!

My name is Laurence Van Lew, coming to you live from the Knoxville area in East TN. I have been pretty anti-motorcycle for most of my life (I've lost several people to motorcycle accidents) but when my 2004 Nissan Xterra took her final dump this past fall, I was convinced to look into a bike as a financially friendlier option and I fell in love with a 1986 Vulcan. 17k miles, all stock parts and in beautiful running condition- I brought her home. I've been doing a ton of research, but I have so much more to learn. I'm decently proficient with mechanics (my partner and I have done all of our own car work and he works at O'Reillys and is pursuing his ASE soon) but motorcycle mechanics are a new playing field for me. I'm eager and excited to learn, and even more excited to ride. I have a safety and licensing class on Jan 29th and 30th, but I drove my bike for the first time (off roadway) today and it was exhilarating. I love the outdoors, we go camping, hiking, and paddleboarding all year long and I'm looking forward to experiencing the outdoors from the saddle of my Vulcan. I'm pumped to be a part of this group and to learn from everyone's experiences :cool:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm new around here as well. Interestingly enough, I'll be riding my '06 out to Tennessee from North Carolina in the spring. I'll be passing by Knoxville, so maybe we could meet up and do some pleasure cruising?

I have some moderate experience with motorcycle mechanical stuff, but I'm learning new things every day. It seems to me that many answers to common questions can be found here.

Good luck, and keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Welcome aboard! Sorry to hear about your losses. Good on you for taking the safety course, but it is a small step towards compentency. Ride within your limits, and don't be pressured into "keeping up" if you're travelling with more experienced riders, or even just normal traffic. I make it a game to predict which cars would have killed me if I hadn't taken a defensive position, and the numbers get pretty high. Stay aware out there. I wouldn't trade in 2 wheels for anything.

·
Registered
03 Vulcan 750
14 Posts
Howdy!

My name is Laurence Van Lew, coming to you live from the Knoxville area in East TN. I have been pretty anti-motorcycle for most of my life (I've lost several people to motorcycle accidents) but when my 2004 Nissan Xterra took her final dump this past fall, I was convinced to look into a bike as a financially friendlier option and I fell in love with a 1986 Vulcan. 17k miles, all stock parts and in beautiful running condition- I brought her home. I've been doing a ton of research, but I have so much more to learn. I'm decently proficient with mechanics (my partner and I have done all of our own car work and he works at O'Reillys and is pursuing his ASE soon) but motorcycle mechanics are a new playing field for me. I'm eager and excited to learn, and even more excited to ride. I have a safety and licensing class on Jan 29th and 30th, but I drove my bike for the first time (off roadway) today and it was exhilarating. I love the outdoors, we go camping, hiking, and paddleboarding all year long and I'm looking forward to experiencing the outdoors from the saddle of my Vulcan. I'm pumped to be a part of this group and to learn from everyone's experiences :cool:
Welcome to the group from Shelbyville, TN

1 - 4 of 4 Posts