Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've picked up a Willie and Max sissy bar bag that I like. I got it not for additional junk/stuff storage but to carry extra gasoline for long distance, mystery rides where you're not entirely positive the next gas station is in range. It can easily hold two 16 oz SeaFoam cans and I'm pretty sure I can slip another one in sorta like bullets in a double-stack magazine. If filled with gas then that's an extra 48 oz of fuel. I seem to remember reading where someone keeps gas in the SeaFoam cans and it seems like a nice idea to me. If the cans are in this 8"W X 11"T X 4.5" Deep bag then they're held up vertically so it seems perfect to use. I plan to put nothing else in there except perhaps a towel for some extra insulation/temp control. Any negative thoughts on such storage?

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
should be fine

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be clear, you're using the True Fuel CANS and not the actual fuel inside, correct? I've not actually seen this product as my lawn mower and weed eater are electric so I've no need to seek it out. But the cans themselves have promise. Regardless if its True Fuel cans or SeaFoam cans putting the gas IN them can be messy. Once in though, they both seem safe to use for those unwanted, side-of-the-road events.

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
KM you just touched on something that was the driving concern behind me starting this thread. That something, or concern, is the building up of pressure when they're bouncing around on a ride. I have seen those orange storage containers before but hey, the SeaFoam cans were already here anyway. I wonder if pressure buildup in a closed can (either SeaFoam or TruFuel) would prove to be a show stopper. I want the extra fuel but I want it safe, of course. And cheap.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pressure buildup control is the reason I do have a towel in there to act as insulation. I don't know how hot they'd get in a black leather bag on a sunny good-riding day but every little bit helps I guess. There's not much I can do about the shaking, though. Maybe I can get by if I crack open the tops each time I stop.

·
Super Moderator
11,825 Posts
Well the real concern is going from a lower altitude to a higher one. Not sure how secure the plastic top is on a Seafoam can (how deep the treads) would worry a bit about it failing, mostly about it leaking.

Shaking shouldn't be an issue, gas isn't like carbonated soda ;)

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
and it's the vapors that expand,not the liquid. keep them as full as possible

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
and it's the vapors that expand,not the liquid. keep them as full as possible

Actually, gasoline does expand in liquid form (as well as the fume/air mixture). In Canada the fuel pumps have special metering devices to compensate for fuel volume so that you're paying for the MASS of fuel you buy, not the VOLUME. I don't think it's a big change, maybe 1% volume change in normal temperature swings, but enough that it matters.

So yeah, you can rupture a completely full container of gasoline, or cause a very full gas tank to overflow through the vent if no air is left at the top when filling up with cold gas on a hot day. You want a cap that has a pressure release valve to let the pressure buildup escape as fumes when needed. I believe gas cans utilize a single one-way release valves and assume that the atmosphere won't crush the can when things cool down.

The big worry would be that escaping fumes would build up inside a bag, then ignite explosively. Fortunately gasoline-soaked-rags shouldn't spontaneously combust.

I'm sure someone will chime in with anecdotal evidence that the seafoam cans are safe, and I think the likelyhood of a disaster is low, but I still wouldn't put them inside a closed container. Murphy's law is just waiting for an excuse.

·
Retired USAF (IYAAYAS)
674 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
As far as pressure building in the bag, I don't think that'll be an issue in this case, or at least a minimal issue. While it's semi-weather proof, it's not really air tight. I'll just do what I said before and each stop I make pop open the bag/cans to de-pressurize whatever is pressurized. After doing this a bit I'll get a feel about the overall viability of using a SeaFoam can. Ideally I'd get the type KM showed since they are purpose-made for this subject. I'd have to find the dimensions of the containers first AND have the spare cash to purchase them, though. For now the bike will probably sit since winter in the NorthWest is wet and I'm not fond of riding in the wet. It'll be next year before I truly test it out. Here's thanks to all the inputs people took time to enter!!

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
IMO It's worth the $20 to buy a proper container than go back and forth with 'well it should be ok' 'but what about expansion' etc. At that rate $20 is worth peace of mind!

Reactions: Gaz73

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
The concern is not about pressurizing the containing bag, it's about what percentage of the air in the bag is gasoline fumes.
For your viewing pleasure, unpressurized gas fumes:
https://youtu.be/HOOc5kT39ec?t=64

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts
"ah I wouldn't worry about it",says the man with a flaming bike on his backpatch . Yolo. lol

Reactions: Gaz73

·
Know-It-All White-Trash
33 Posts
Brilliant idea, ive been meaning to buy a camping fuel bottle, but why bother now. Short new night trips might work out. fill them with no air? cool air but buy a can next time lol enough "WATCH THIS" youtubes out there

1 - 20 of 20 Posts