Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently rode on the interstate, maintaining 80+ mph.
It was about 70 degrees late in the day.
My temp gauge seemed higher than normal.
Normal riding, I'm usually on the low side of the little picture, sometimes not even touching it.
On the interstate, I was on the high side of the little picture.
Nothing concerning by itself, but I'm wondering why it's higher.
I suspect I'm on the edge of too much ignition timing and that's causing extra heat in the engine.
Other than the higher coolant temps, I haven't noticed any other issues.

Do others notice elevated temperatures during higher speed riding?
Is that normal and I've just never noticed before?

For some additional info, I'm running aftermarket ignition and I've added a live data readback.
The ignition is running about 2 degrees advanced from stock at that RPM and throttle position.
I have a datalog from that particular trip, though it doesn't log engine temperature.
It does show speed, RPM, ignition timing, engine vacuum and ambient temperature, if that's useful to answer this question.

·
Registered
10,801 Posts
Mine has always been able to maintain normal temperature except being slightly below normal in cooler weather.

I would suspect the timing advance also. Info in your data logger thread about your temps and conditions seems to support that.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think you should pull your spark plugs and read them. If the advance is causing the motor to run hot your spark plugs will tell you. They would be very white with “pepper” spots on the tips. If you have been riding a lot of miles with the ignition too advanced it should be obvious even if you have ridden a few low speed miles afterward.

With the stock temperature gauge and sender I don’t think you can base much on the movement of the needle. More like the idiot light early warning system on a car than a accurate gauge you might need with the mods you are doing. Regardless, read the plugs to see what they tell you. It may be necessary to give her a little more fuel at the upper speeds to offset the advanced ignition. I would expect the fan to come on if the temp is getting high. My fan never comes on when highway riding no matter how fast I am going. I rode to Reno about 3 years or so ago and hardly ever got below 90 miles an hour. the temp outside was in upper 60's when I left and in the 70's when I got there and my temp hardly reached “normal”. I sure went through a lot of gas though.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I read where you are wanting to get a thermocouple reading for the coolant and agree that may be what you will really need. the outside of the block gives you information but I don't know how that will translate to the coolant temp at speed. You may be able to "tap" ito the coolant system in the thermostat assembly. Perhaps even removing th bleed and placing the thermocouple there. I'm not sure what size the threads on the thermocouple are but it might be close.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts