Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the sinario. 2 days ago I was cruising down the freeway... In a bit of a hurry, I was running between 80 & 85. Suddenly the bike starts to act like it bogging down. Like a lack of fuel. I immediatly make my way toward the side of the road. As I slowed the bike came back. So... I kept going. It didn't do it again the whole way home. Yesterday, It acted up again, this time not as drastic but I did notice the tach "jumped" abit when it happened. I also found it's happening over 60mph. That was yesterday. Yeah, I road it again. A little chilly this morning, but I noticed another symptom not seen in the daylight. This is where it becomes an electrical thought. When it surges/boggs I noticed a deffinate increase & decrease in the amount of light produced by everything. Guages, headlight ect & now at lower speeds & totally ramdom. So... any thoughts? I'll be checking things out tonight. But thoughts on what to check would help. I'll fix anything if I can figure out what's wrong! lol:notworthy

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Several folks have reported problems with the bike bogging down if the carb vent hose gets jammed up against the inside of the air filter housing. Maybe check and see if that's free and clear. But I don't know if/why that might cause an electrical surge... Your gremlin bell working ok??

·
Registered
80 Posts
Check your ignition. Next time it does it reach down and move the key back and forth a bit. I had a problem similar to that and found that I had a loose connection in my ignition wiring.

·
85 VN 700
1,033 Posts
I assume that the light variation is more than normal for given RPM's? Do remember that the light is a little brighter at cruising RPM than at idle rpm.

Just a thought to keep ya from chasing a gremilin that's not there...

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nope, There's totally a problem. I'm still thinking about it. All the symptoms are connected. Individually they could be a number of things. But combined I'm thinking more spacific. We need "House" in on this one!
maybe engienpox! or a broken Kanooter valve! lol

·
Registered
387 Posts
You didn't mess with the Kanooter valve, did you? :wow: Man, you have to keep that thing clean!! And replacing it is a total pain!! :D:D

·
Registered
154 Posts
Here's the sinario. 2 days ago I was cruising down the freeway... In a bit of a hurry, I was running between 80 & 85. Suddenly the bike starts to act like it bogging down. Like a lack of fuel. I immediatly make my way toward the side of the road. As I slowed the bike came back. So... I kept going. It didn't do it again the whole way home. Yesterday, It acted up again, this time not as drastic but I did notice the tach "jumped" abit when it happened. I also found it's happening over 60mph. That was yesterday. Yeah, I road it again. A little chilly this morning, but I noticed another symptom not seen in the daylight. This is where it becomes an electrical thought. When it surges/boggs I noticed a deffinate increase & decrease in the amount of light produced by everything. Guages, headlight ect & now at lower speeds & totally ramdom. So... any thoughts? I'll be checking things out tonight. But thoughts on what to check would help. I'll fix anything if I can figure out what's wrong! lol:notworthy
when a similar thing happened to me the positive cable was a bit loose, tightened it and all was good.

·
Old Truck Junkie
4,133 Posts
Check your main cable and connections as mentioned above. Also some time wires will break in two and look as if they are fine, because the break is inside the plastic insulation.

·
Giggity!
4,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Damb Gremlins. Atleast the bell slowed them down. The negative battery post was coming loose. That's probably the last thing I would have checked. I'll be testing it out when I get home tomorrow. Cold & Rain don't mix. I'll be cagen tomorrow. Thanks stan! Thanks Every One!

·
Registered
154 Posts
no problem, glad to help........

·
Registered
236 Posts
The symptoms you described happened to my bike when it was still the PO's. He thought it was dirty carbs and removed the carbs and cleaned them before I bought the bike. I had no issues in the first week or so, but shortly after that I got stranded on the way home from work.

Turned out that the r/r had one foot in the grave and was in the process of failing. Hopefully you've got the problem figured out with the loose battery cable, but it it happens again I'd check the r/r.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
I agree

Much the same happened on my XS650 vintage - It was the battery ground wire - It was tight at the battery, everything looked good but where it attached to the frame, only a few braids were left connected but it looked fine. Lights were real bright, then dim. New cable = back to normal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts