Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Geek
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a long time since I've been on here. Had massive medical problems last year. Only rode the bike 2 times in October. Got the bike started last month. Ran good. Wen't for a ride 2 weeks ago. Rode for about 2 hours, bike was running great. Doing about 50 MPH. All of a sudden it coughed and died. Pulled over to the side of the road. Hit the starter, whump, whump, and nothing. WTF ? Pulled the seat, checked connections, I had a vmeter with me. Hard to read but was over 12 volts. After about 1.5 hours it started right up. WTF ? The motor had cooled down. I turned around and headed home. Rode for about an hour and pulled over. Had to get something to eat ! Same thing. Would not start. After an hour it started up, same as above. WTF ? Can someone point me in a direction so I can diag the problem ? I'm stumped. I haven't actually checked anything yet. I do have test doc's for charging system.

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
I had the warm start problem and I changed out EVERYTHING from coil mod, pickup mod, rebuilt starter, newer starter, you name it. Cleaned the jets, pilot I assume, and the warm start problem seemed to go away. Maybe I hit something and knocked it right who knows.

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Bad starter, it's dragging and/or the brushes are shot. That's my guess, assuming it's charging and the battery is right.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Mine did almost the exact same thing when my stator went bad... sometimes the stator can short out only when warm, or other intermittent issues. Have you tested the charging system at all?

·
2014 KLR 650!
3,365 Posts
Mine did almost the exact same thing when my stator went bad... sometimes the stator can short out only when warm, or other intermittent issues. Have you tested the charging system at all?
I'd have good battery voltage when mine did it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
To make sure you have good electrical connections at the battery and frame ground, you can put a star washer on each location.

Don

·
Banned
10,354 Posts
...dont all this sound like POOGS ?...I never had it, so dunno.....but after gettin hot....dies...after cooling works.....check tank venting....also, in my hot roddin days, this could signify a cracked coil......

But it sat for awhile, right ?.....Id check venting then first.....when it "died", did ya open the gas cap at all ?....if ya heard a sucking noise, thrn it aint venting proper.....

·
Chasin' the blacktop
1,498 Posts
I was kinda thinking POGS myself.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts