Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok Guys, Got my maint free battery today. The shop said it was fully chaged. So I came home installed it and tried to go for my first ride. I made it to the end of my driveway, bike died and when I tried to start it again it acted like the battery was dead. So I got the charger out ,charged it for afew minutes and stated it again. It started like new, so I checked the voltage at the battery 13.8 at an idle. And I can't seem to find any lose connections either:confused:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Update, Rechecked voltage at battery with a different voltmeter and I'm getting 12.5 at 3000 rpms regulator or stator?

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
12.5v at 3K is a little low, but take it up to 5K or so and see if it increases at all. The best way to check your stator and regulator is to check the resistance coming off the stator - .3-.5 ohms on each of the stator leads. If those check out, then it's probably your regulator.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I'd double and triple check your battery post connections. make sure your cables are spotless at both ends.

I've had that happen with cars trucks bikes and boats. it don't take much corrosion to cause a problem. the battery shows full voltage, until you go to crank, then it acts dead. Its also possible that your new battery is faulty or was not actually fully charged. I've had that happen too.

·
Now what
400 Posts
Update, Rechecked voltage at battery with a different voltmeter and I'm getting 12.5 at 3000 rpms regulator or stator?
The electrical system isn't putting out any voltage. Could be stator or R/R. http://tinyurl.com/2l5kn8 Half way down this page you'll find a PDF file of a chart that'll help you pinpoint the problem.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts