Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I believe my '02 VN750 has developed an electrical problem of some sort. The starter will not engage, although clicks will be heard from the relay. Also, at the last point I had it running it produced a backfire then sounded like it was running on one cylinder, during which point the tachometer reading varied dramatically (from around 1k to 7k) and it soon stalled. After this, I noticed that I would not get any lights on the indicator panel on occasion, particularly the oil or neutral light when it wasn't running and was in neutral.

I'd completed a ~80 mile ride in the early afternoon and the bike sat for about three hours. I was able to start it once, and the above-mentioned problems began shortly thereafter. Moisture is not an unreasonable possibility as we did have a light shower during the time it sat.

Anyone have any suggestions? Unfortunately, I can't just walk out to the bike as it is at my MIL's house. I'm working on securing a truck and trailer so I can get it home. I do have a new (installed in March) maintenance free battery in the bike and would keep it connected to a smart charger (BatteryTender Jr model) when parked at home.

·
Forum Faciliator
369 Posts
How is your battery? And check your fuses.

Start there then let us know.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry it took so long to reply; it was after midnight when I returned last night.

Although I had visually inspected the fuses at the time, I decided to double-check when checking other possibilities. The fuses are good, and the battery appears good (gives 12.94V.)

I had my manual with me and looked through some diagnostics. Testing the starter relay with the starter lead detached produced the expected result (single click, 0 Ohm) but if the starter is connected it makes repeative clicks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
After much time checking and trying, I've come to the following:

Battery was shot - gave the right voltage but couldn't even budge the starter. I put the old battery in again and it cranked. I installed a new, fully-charged battery and things look good electrically.

Stator looks good and is giving me the readings I should get, including infinite resistance between any lead and ground. I did a couple other things that were about due anyhow, like replaced the spark plugs, having checked that they had the correct gap.

It runs smoothly, but has *no* power under load - it's very easy to stall when attempting to move-off from a stop, hills I used to be able to take in fifth I can barely maintain speed if I downshift to second, etc. The acceleration in first feels more like being in fifth and slightly rolling the throttle.

Anyone have any suggestions what I should check next?

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
Trouble-shooting thought--

I had something like this happen to me on an old Kawasaki LTD500. Turned out the electronic ignition was bad.
If I'm not mistaken, the VN750 has the ignition exiter magnets in the same piece that provides the magnets for the alternator. If those magnets are weak, it might (emphasis *might*) be causing this.

·
Uber Member
1,280 Posts
have you checked to see if both cyls. are fireing? if not which isnt?

·
Registered
83 Posts
DarphBobo said:
...but has *no* power under load - it's very easy to stall when attempting to move-off from a stop, hills I used to be able to take in fifth I can barely maintain speed if I downshift to second, etc. The acceleration in first feels more like being in fifth and slightly rolling the throttle...
Sounds like it's starving for fuel. Did you do anything to the tank or fuel lines while you were working on it? Maybe the tank's not getting vented. If you open the gas cap and get a "whoosh", your tank's not getting the air that it needs.

CD in Frederick, OK

1 - 7 of 7 Posts