Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had some electrical gremlins since last summer. Starter would not engage. So, coming out of hibernation this spring, I cleaned up the start switch and checked a couple items but couldn't tie it down. I think it is worse this year and want to get it solved before I head to StrangeDays.

Symptoms--occasionally wouldn't engage starter when cold. By this I mean there was nothing to the starter. I would cycle the clutch a couple times, tap the gear shift (even when neutral light was engaged), tap the kickstand, etc and then it would fire up. I think this has mostly gone away since cleaning the switch . (Which of course means all the actions above were mostly voodoo unrelated to the real problem?)

The part that I can't seem to tie down--start it up and let it idle and it eventually dies. The shutdown may be due to carb tuning (idle is really too low) because if I shut down hot I sometimes get the same result--no starter until it cools down. I can jump the solenoid and it cranks fine. I can have it on a booster/charger and it still won't crank until it cools. Pretty sure its not the solenoid--will verify tonight for sure.

Anyone seen this and can speed me up on my trouble shooting? Also having turn signal troubles so I'm going to be digging into the relay box anyway. May just swap it out anyway but seems an expensive way to troubleshoot.

·
FREEBIRDS MC CENTRAL NY
16,076 Posts

·
..have a vulcan good day!
4,508 Posts
side stand switch ? - :confused: -

Switch at the Clutch lever ? - :confused: -

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Grounds...grounds....check ALL the grounds!!!
Physically remove the frame grounds and clean and re-tighten them.
What might appear to be a good ground could be bad due to oxidation on the threads of the bolt.
The starter ground is through the case...so check those bolts as well.

·
Expendable newbie
309 Posts
Might be a bad wire connection problem. As stated before it could be a bad ground or other bad connections. If I remember correctly, electricity flows better in the cold than hot. Possibly on your bike, when it's cold, there is enough electricity flowing through, but when its hot, then there is more resistance and there is not enough to start the bike. Obviously this difference is not big enough that you will encounter it on a regular basis, but maybe, just maybe, if there was a bad connection, like a corroded wire connection, then that along with the hot temp prevents enough electricity to start the bike.

Even if this is not the reason for your troubles, its still a good idea to clean your connections. Since the bike just came out of hibernation, it is very possible that some connections have rust on them or corrosion.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Cleaned the connections, did some other maintenance and problem seems to have gone away. Strange thing is I blipped the start button while running and starter ticked. I had looked into the two wire mod but my 10 pin connector shows corner pin as black/red, next up is all black, and middle is yellow/red so I couldn't quickly figure out how to do the mod. So UNMODIFIED, its like the shutout is no longer functioning. Something is flaky. One new mod is a voltage meter with two USB outputs. Went in easy! Voltage outputs are fine on system with 13.8V at idle 14.4V at 2K RPM. I did clean up the wiring to the stator --had some old connectors that looked needy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts