Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie here... i have a problem that i am starting to think is electrical. I have no money to fix it right now so i'm hoping it's a simple fix... it's like this -

My rear cylinder would cut out while i was riding from time to time, and the last time it happened it didn't correct itself... at first i thought it was fuel/carb related, but i also noticed that the plugs looked crappy so i replaced those and checked them. The rear cylinder plugs seem to spark when they want to, so now i am thinking i have an electrical problem. i don't really think it's the battery since starting the bike has never been a problem, but then again i'm no mechanic by any means and i have read a lot on this site about weird problems stemming from battery/electrical issues... anyone have any idea?

it's raining like crazy here so i haven't had much of a chance to get to the battery (nor do i have any idea what to look for) - any insight?

thanks!

·
Banned
1,620 Posts
there is a link to the service manual on the forum someplace......download that and check out the electrical. IIRC, with the ign. on, the coils should have 12VDC on one pole and the other pole of the primary should go to the CDI box. I'd start there. Then check the pickups and pickup wiring to the CDI........

·
Registered
458 Posts
Check out my post named "Headlight Problem just got Worse" dated
03-25-2011. you will find a link to the service manual there, and its free.

·
Calif Rider
725 Posts
Check your connections for the rear coil. The power lead or the ground wire may have come loose. this happened to me after tinkering with things in that area. Since the bike is new to you you should try and clean up all your connection and grounds. Use a good dialectic grease on all the connection, to keep corrotion from building up.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
First thing is test the battery voltage.
Should be ~12.5 v with the engine off.
With engine running, slowly rev it up to 5K rpm. Voltage should climb to ~14.5-15 V as rpm`s rise. If you need a new battery get a MF-AGM. This DEKA is a good one.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Deka-ETX15L-Powersports-AGM-Battery-100-NEW-/270282472155?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Other_Vehicle_Parts&hash=item3eee173adb

Check all battery and elelctrical connections are clean and tight.
Use dielectrical grease to keep moisture and corrosion out.

Kanuck69 has a link to a searchable Kaw service manual in his signature line.
here it is: http://www.mediafire.com/?mj7z818grhbdy3x

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
you guys are the best! i love this forum...

when it stops RAINING i'm going to try some of this stuff, then i'll get back to you with results... if anyone else has some ideas please continue to list them - i want to try to eliminate all possibilities, and it looks like its gonna be at least another day before the rain stops. too bad i don't have a garage yet...

And thanks for the manual links! that should be a huge help to me!!

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
The resistance of the primary circuit on the coils should be between 1.8-2.2 Ohms.
Resistance of the secondary circuit (one test lead on the end of each spark plug wire) between 19K-29K ohms, per Clymers manual. Test performed with coils warm, at least 68* F.

If all the previous suggestions fail to cure the problem, try swapping the front and rear ignition coils to see if the non firing problem moves to the front cylinder with the coil.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I may be way off, but when I first got my motorcycle I ran it with the gas it had in it. The bad gas led to the floats in the carb's to stick and pour gas into the rear piston flooding it causing it not to fire. Of course I had different signs the carb's were the problem including fuel pouring out the exhaust and when I shut my fuel off it would fire like normal. But this could be an alternative to the electrical.

By the way, the fix to this is sucks. Simple as taking out the carb’s and cleaning them up but you had better be read to do some hard time getting them b*#%@es out.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay, as i suspected, it was just one of those simple things that took me about twenty minutes to find and fix - a loose wire. now she runs like brand new again! the weather is still crappy but i took her out this morning for about 25 miles and no hint of any more problems...

thanks all, for your helpful advice!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts