Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings, I'm a newbie, so please forgive any lapses in comity.

Anyway, trying to get my '89 VN750 back on the road. It was running fine, until I put it in the garage while a two week spate of rain kept me off the road.

When the weather broke, it wouldn't crank over. Exactly like what a dead battery would do. So I put it on the charger overnight but it didn't work.

What it is doing is clicking - it's a strong, determined click - and the tach will move. Not jump, but move like the engine is being reved. There's no sound like the engine trying to catch, just the clicking. One time, I turned the key to the "On" position and the tach rose.

Any thoughts as to why the tach would be responding to the depressing the start button when the engine isn't cranking over?

I'm leaning towards an electrical short someplace, but I have no idea where to begin to track it down. I'm also thinking the ignition/instrument cluster needs to be replaced.

Thanks all.

·
Linkmeister Supreme
7,960 Posts
After charging it do you get at least 12.5 volts reading on a multi-meter?

Do you get just one "strong determined click" from the starter relay under the right side cover?
If so, that indicates the primary, or "trigger" circuit is complete.

The tach reads off the front ignition coil.

All these odd tach readings/symptoms could be caused by a bad battery.
To test this out, disconnect the mc battery and hook up jumper cables direct from your car battery to the mc cables, then try to start the bike.

Take care to not let the positive cable touch the negative one or the frame.

Finding electrical gremlins is not my strong suit, but this is what I would try first, to determine if the battery is at fault.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replacing battery

At this point, the battery won't keep a charge. I've had it on the charger now for 24 hours and its still dead.

Looks like I'm going battery shopping.

Thanks.

·
ass hole extaordinaire
3,780 Posts
New Battery worked.... :pepper: Time for a ride...:motorcycl

Thanks all!
glad to hear it brother have fun and be safe :motorcycl

1 - 6 of 6 Posts