Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, hope all is well with you. I haven't been on very much lately, as for some time the bike was down with a dead stator, and then I've been busy with other outdoor activities.

Recently, though, I got the stator replaced using the Tuxedo mod, and also replaced the R/R that seemed to be failing. Thought I had it running nicely again, and then this new problem cropped up. I was out riding, when suddenly it kind of sputtered like it was running out of fuel, even though it wasn't. Moments later, it died completely. Looked down at the dash, and noticed all the power was off. So right away, I'm stinking "great, I got a bad stator". Got it towed home, and hooked up the battery to the Tender to charge back up overnight before trying to diagnose the problem. But the Battery Tender indicated it was more than 80% charged. So it's not the battery, and I doubt it's the stator, as I soldered the wires together when I installed it. But there's still no power to the bike.

My next thought was that it's the hockey puck. How would I test that?

After that, any other thoughts? Any tests that you think I should run in order to diagnose the problem? I work on my own bike, but I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, so any input you guys can give me is always greatly appreciated.

·
1986 VN750
3,255 Posts
1) fuses
2) grounds
3) you may be on the right path anyways

·
Let's Ride!!
606 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1) fuses
2) grounds
3) you may be on the right path anyways
1) I hadn't thought of fuses, though usually those go suddenly rather than "sputter", right? I'll check them anyway.
2) I'll check those. The battery ground was solid and intact.
3) Isn't there a way to "rebuild" the hockey puck, if that's where the problem is?

·
Registered
8,248 Posts
Does sound like a faulty switch.

Should be a sticky post in the elect. section., clean the contacts and stretch the springs slightly. A little tricky to open it up. May even be a video in the post.

·
Alpha Geek
487 Posts
Get a DMM. Download the manual. Start at the battery and work your way forward to the lights. That will tell you where your fault with that is. Hopefully it isn't the junction/relay box. If it is, I may be able to repair it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts