Kawasaki VN750 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can the Vulcan 750 hold any electrical accessories cuz i would like to add fog lights, neon/led lights. and some other things i think would be cool on the bike.

·
Drive less, ride more...
1,114 Posts
Hey, Stinky....

Our bike does NOT have much extra capacity in its electrical system.

See the following thread for good info on lighting:

http://www.vn750.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3440

If you want LED lights...that's fine...but you'd be better off converting your existing amber/tail lights to LEDs, first.

You can do a search, and see more info on all this in some of the other threads already here in the forums.

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
Stay away from neon lights. They are a BIG draw on our electrical system.
Neons are generally brighter than LEDs, however, Neons uses lot more electricity than LEDs. In addition, Neons are less durable than then LEDs.
Take a look at this from sign makers..
117 watts vs 20 watts..
90 days vs 5 years
http://www.signindustry.com/electric/articles/LEDNeonFOConsumption.xls
One member on the VN750 board got a neon lighted license plate frame.. It drained his battery.

Just be sure you knopw what kind of wattage you are asking your bike to handle. you only have a little to play with as it is.
Most that have added driving/fog lights replace the 55 watt bulbs with 20s

·
Search Goddess
2,002 Posts
They aren't power hungry.
Stock they do just fine with a maintenance free or well maintained battery and even have a little extra to spare.
If you are talking speed power, they do fine hangin with the bigger bikes.
Even the tricked out Goldwing has to move up to a bigger alternator to handle extra doo-dads after a point.

·
Registered
238 Posts
They are not power hungary--they just have a smaller scale charging system and the batteries do not have a very high reserve capacity.
I believe our bikes charging system (Stator/altternator) is running like 24 amps. This is not a lot and can very easily be overloaded. This is not like a car with a 600-800 cold crank battery w/ a large reserve and a 60-100 amp alternator where you can add fog lights a radar detector and some other lighting or accessoriesand have very little effect on the charging system.
If you add all this to your bike it will force the stator/alt to continiuosly charge and it will never be able to keep up with the output required and fry your regulator or your stator--OR BOTH! It most likely won't be immediate, but I would put good money on you tearing the motor out to replace the stator/alt assembly within a month.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
If you are talking speed power, they do fine hangin with the bigger bikes.
Even the tricked out Goldwing has to move up to a bigger alternator to handle extra doo-dads after a point.
Or a nuclear power plant as is needed by Dianna's hubby on his Goldwing. Man turned on ALL of his lights while behind me and I about got a sunburn from the light... Thought it all of a sudden turned day...
:wow: :pepper: :wow:

·
Registered
238 Posts
The first thing you should do if you haven't already-is get a volt meter installed on the handle bars or dash area to monitor the charging system.

Hizzo or Hyperbuzzin (somebody) wound their own stator and installed it and it was working great the last I heard/remember. Maybe someone who can actually remember who did this will chime in.
That's about all you will be able to do to modify/improve the charging system. The stators available are pretty much stock specs.
There is a lot of wasted electrical current on the bulbs on our bikes. I replaced all my dash lights with T5/T6 LED bulbs and the tail light bulbs, I am replacing the rest of the bulbs with LED's as well. This should save a heck of a load on the charging system. The regular bubls are burning a lot of wattage requiring the stator to work a bit when you have brakes on and turn signals going.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
You could, I suppose--Until the State Patrol gets a hold of you! Then you will be putting your factory headlight back in.
On my VN750, I run a 60/100W (I think) H4 and have never had a problem with law enforcement. The bulb has a rainbow strobe filter on it which gives the light a red/blue/yellow tinge that attracts attention and also has a older model Signal Dynamic's Diamond Star Headlight Modulator pulsing at 8 flashes a second.

On my Nomad, I run a 90/100W H4 and have never had a problem with law enforcement. The bulb also has a rainbow strobe filter on it which gives the light a red/blue/yellow tinge that attracts attention and a Signal Dynamic's Diamond Star Headlight Modulator pulsing at 5 (legal limit) flashes a second. Unfortunatly, this set-up with the clear headlight lenses sometimes causes people to pull over thinking I'm a cop. At night, I can see everything...

But never have a had a member of the law enforcement community even look twice at me other then to waive and give me a thumbs up. They recognise a high visibilaty safety set-up when they see it. The VN750 set-up has been in for over 5 years and the Nomad set-up is going on it's second season. And cars who are thinking of pulling out think twice...

·
Registered
238 Posts
Bulldog there's nothing wrong with your set up.

I believe he wants to REMOVE the headlight entirely and run two other lights only.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Bulldog there's nothing wrong with your set up.

I believe he wants to REMOVE the headlight entirely and run two other lights only.
Saw it done on a Vulcan 750 from England. Two square headlights. Personally didn't like the looks of it and never heard from the owner if he really liked it. Just picture I saw.

Now, I do like the idea of replacing the stock VN750 lenses with a higher quality housing like the KuryAkyn (made by Adjure) 7" that has been mentioned. I was thinking of doing that with my Nomad but my higher wattage bulb would damage the housing (plastic).

I'm currently on the hunt looking for another Nomad clear headlight housing that I can experment with the VN750 with. If I get it and it doesn't work out, then I will have a spare in case I pick up a stone on the Nad light.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Will the KuryAkyn new headlight fit on the Vulcan750??? Because I love the look of it. It is pretty Sweet.

·
Growling at the World...
564 Posts
Will the KuryAkyn new headlight fit on the Vulcan750??? Because I love the look of it. It is pretty Sweet.
These are made by a company called Adjure. For metric applications, a trim ring can be purchased to make it fit. BUT!!! Like most product for metric motorcycles, the VN750 might still be a difficult case due to the age of the design. The headlight housing on my Nomad is deeper then on my VN750. It is possible that the Adjure / KuryAkyn housing might be too deep. You might also need a special trim ring to make it fit the Metric. Be advised the Adjure website doesn't list the VN750...

If I was interested in this, here is what I would do... Find a shop that sells either the KuryAkyn branded part or the Adjure part and head over there. Either ride your bike or bring your headlight and bucket. Most shops will take the product out of the shell to do a fitment test.

One thing, do not put in a higher power H4 bulb as the KA/Adjure housing is plastic and WILL melt...

See http://store.adjureinc.com/7.html

I personally would like to put this one on my Nomad to match my 4-1/2" Adjure spots I just put on.

·
Registered
46 Posts
unless the bucket ANDhousing are both glass, bulbs with ratings higher than 55-66watt should not be used.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts